Sunday, October 26, 2008

On The Road With the Dead-Heads - Still

I offer up this post as a respite from all of our political angst these days - though it occurs to me that this post champions a group of people that Palin & co. would absolutely loathe - so - happy days!!

Today I am wearing a tie-dyed T-Shirt of turquoise blue & purple. An authentic Dead Head t-shirt. Made for me by a true D-head. It is a prized possession.

Why? You ask? Am I a fanatical fan of The Dead? No. Have I ever been to a D-head concert? No.

So then why is the t-shirt so prized? Because a friend made it & the t-shirt reminds me of him. Now this man was never a close friend. I never got the chance to know him that well. He was working as a temp for a company I was working for eons ago. He was a temp by life-style choice. He would work for a short time – just long enough to save enough money to go on the road with The Dead – again. He was rootless – by choice. His community was made up of his fellow dead-heads whom he would hook up with for months at a time on the road. During his brief stints in the “real” world he would connect with others – such as me.

My memory of him is that he was a smart man. I always enjoyed talking to him - he had such a clever, dry sense of humor. His view of the world was hazed over with a heaping helping of liberal hippyness. He was also a gentle soul. Kind & unassuming. He embraced his deadheadedness with an idealistic fervor that I often found myself envying. Oddly so. For the short time that our paths crossed – he changed my view of the world in his own humble way. In fact – he still does. Bless him.

Then the making of the t-shirts. His personal fund-raising drive to go on the road with The Dead. My purchasing of this t-shirt from him meant that I was enabling his return to the road. For better or worse.

Months after he left – without a trace – Jerry died. Immediately we all thought of our friend. How his world, his sense of belonging & purpose must have shattered like bits of glass. My ex-husband & others tried to track him down – but the trail was cold. We all worried about him though we knew we would never see him again.

I think of him still from time to time – especially when I wear this t-shirt – which I adore. I wonder what became of him & his fellow idealistic types - living in an unforgiving & increasingly conservative society - without their center - Jerry.

I realize I may seem to be over-sentimentalizing a simple, now worn, article of clothing. And, well, yeah, I guess I am. But the reason is this – there is much about this lost friend & this t-shirt that symbolizes my path through life as well. In my adult life I have moved so so so so so many times (in the early days by choice, now - not so much), I have said goodbye to more friends than most people make in a life time. I have learned to be philosophical about friendships – to value them in the here & now because tomorrow . . . Unlike my old dead-head friend, I have less of a sense of community. His wandering gave him a sense of purpose & a sense of shared community with his fellow Jerry worshipers. And this is perhaps the part of his story that I have always somewhat envied. My less purposeful sense of community comes from phone calls & emails with friends scattered around the country. Friends I love & value more than they can know.

What brought on this personal reverie of a post? Whilst going about my business today sporting my D-head t-shirt I have been going over in my mind all that I must do in the weeks to come. Including - wading into the job market – again – full force. Mine is a temporary position. Still a transient in search of a permanent home, I know that I must eventually leave where I am currently landed.

BUT – thanks to a kind d-head, a fellow transient, who once crossed my path – I will not be alone when I move on – because I will have his awesome t-shirt in tow. So let's hear for friendships - past, present & future (ok - now I'm being sentimental!). They are the positive fabric of my life (even when not tie-dyed blue & purple . . . )

[Ah yes - only a true LIBERAL could have written this post!]

5 comments:

  1. Liberal Squid,

    Enjoyed your post, thanks. Have always been a classical music person myself (it isn’t only conservatives who like Haydn and “Ludgwig Van,” of course), but I can sort of understand how certain bands are a whole way of life unto themselves. Purpose is not inherent in life (aside from the obvious things, which are therefore not worth talking about) – we must generate it by some means or other, and I guess your friend’s was the Dead and their concerts. Sounds like a fine person to me. I’ve had only a small number of genuine friends, only one of which drifted away altogether so that I never hear from her anymore. Never really understood the reason, or even if there was one, so I let it go. But from some of the others I hear less – everyone’s just busy and getting older, myself included, and distance gets in the way. I’m reminded of Walter Benjamin’s notion about the Angel of History, with the Angel facing backwards and wanting to repair the “wreckage” he sees, making whole what has been rent and scattered—but it isn’t possible; the wind we call “progress” blows him ever onward into a future he can’t see. An individual’s life is like that too, I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant Ludwig Van, of course. D'oh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dino - it is funny - the image of classical music being conservative. But you're right. My musical tastes are eclectic - ranging from Muddy Waters to Moussorgsky. I never understood the whole g-dead thing myself - though I've been known to worship at the shrine of Bob Dylan from time to time.

    But I think you are right about purpose not being inherent in life - and people's need for it - no matter what form it may take. Such as following a band - literally! And my friend's purpose was so simple - which in and of itself makes it enviable. I get muddled in my head (like now) when I feel like I either have no purpose or I have too many purposes or too complicated a purpose, blah blah so it goes. There is something to be said for simplicity. My friend - at least before Jerry dies - always knew where he was going or, at the very least, where he WANTED to be going. Food for thought, I guess.

    As for friendships & getting older - I find the older I get the harder it is. Yes - the usual excuses from all sides - time & busy-ness - kids - spouses. A shame, really, because the older we get do we not have more to share?

    Your Angel of History - much to ponder in that thought. I think we should acknowledge & learn from our wreckage but be ever moving onward. Life is too short to do otherwise. I also think - to stretch the analogy a bit - that looking at the wreckage of the present should be much in the same vein - with an eye always turned towards a less wrecked future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I shall cherish this post in the same spirit as you remember your Dead-head friend. One of the D-heads is Elizabeth Zipern who wrote a cookbook called Cooking with the Dead. It has one of my favorite recipes, which I would like to share with you. You’ll need really a big pot.

    3 Bean Veggie Chili:
    3 onions, diced
    5 cloves fresh garlic, minced
    2 teaspoons cumin (or more)
    4 teaspoons chili powder
    1 and 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (original recipe says “3” … way too hot)
    1 green peppers diced (8pus prefers 2)
    Olive oil

    1 can black beans
    1 can red beans
    1 can kidney beans
    1 can sweet corn
    1 can chopped tomatoes with jalapeno peppers
    1 28 oz can whole tomatoes (I prefer diced)
    1 6 oz can tomato paste
    Salt and pepper to taste

    Sauté the onions and garlic in olive oil first, add the spices and cook for a minute or two, followed by the vegetables until translucent. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Let simmer 4 to 5 hours.

    Serves 6 to 8. This all veggie chili should soothe an herbivorous Allosaurus (carnivores can add meat if desired). For Squid, those earthy chili colors will coordinate well on a turquoise and blue T-Shirt.

    Yes, I know. A lot of chili but it lasts a long time and freezes well. It does have an impact on global climate change, but thats what friends are for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Octopus - what a wonderful addition to my collection of "friend memorabilia."

    You are my very favorite fellow deep sea dweller.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome civil discourse from all people but express no obligation to allow contributors and readers to be trolled. Any comment that sinks to the level of bigotry, defamation, personal insults, off-topic rants, and profanity will be deleted without notice.