Monday, November 3, 2008

Generational Voting

Tomorrow morning at the crack of dawn I intend to drag my young child out of bed & to drag said child to the polls to stand in line to vote. I warned said child tonight about the morrow’s itinerary & was asked about breakfast – we will eat it in line, I said. And make sure your game-boy battery is charged.

Said child is off from school tomorrow for the election so, no doubt, other children in my state will be standing in line with their parents as well. And no doubt they – like me – will warn their children about behaving & being patient. I explained the importance of voting to my child – telling said child that I was going to vote no matter how long it took. Because IT WAS IMPORTANT.

Said child voted with me once before. In the primaries. About a month ago when I put an Obama bumper sticker on my car said child was curious about why it was a different name than the one I voted for in the primaries. I was delighted to TRY and explain the situation to my 7 year old. Whilst explaining the process of electing a president from primary to final election I made sure to oh so subtly emphasize the fact that the person mom voted for the first time was a SHE but that SHE did not win so now mom was voting for Obama because he was her next favorite choice. I refrained from mentioning his race – figuring he’d get that eventually.

Hopefully – in time – he will understand his mother’s heady experience during the primaries of having a choice between a woman & a black man. Honestly – I thought the day would NEVER come. All day I have found myself thinking about MLK, Harriet Tubman, & others looking down from above & thinking to themselves – yes, it was all worth it. May we PLEASE as an electorate tomorrow deliver for MLK & HT & so many others that have struggled & gone before. May the dream be a reality.

Hopefully my child will remember tomorrow’s historic election experience. And carry it forth into a future of responsible civic duty by voting.

And what parents do politically – or not – matters. The only campaign sign my parents ever put in our yard when we were growing up was for George McGovern. Remember him? I remember this – though at the time it would take awhile for the significance of this to sink into my young mind. I remember my mother being glued to the Watergate hearings – absolutely glued - refusing to talk to children who interrupted the hearings. I have never to this day seen my mother so intent & ANGRY.

These things I remember.

Tomorrow these same parents – my son’s grandparents - will be heading to the polls – my father in a wheel chair. You couldn’t keep him away from voting if you tried. How will they cast their votes? Always democrat.

So on to tomorrow – hopefully planting the seed for another generation of voting in my family tree. A family tree that includes a black sister. My said child’s godmother.

I posted a sign on my office door warning students that I might be late for office hours – because I was voting. Yes – it’s that important – even for people like me who live in a state so red that both Obama & McCain wrote it off months ago. Obama probably won’t win here. But he will still get my vote. I will be counted because – it does matter.

And may we all wake up to an Obama presidency Wednesday morning.

10 comments:

  1. My significant other is voting for the first time. After work, I'm picking her up to take her to the polling place. She's actually nervous about it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to Squid and family, Jennifer, Robert, Matt's significant other, and all on getting out and voting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post makes every cephalopod proud.

    Tomorrow I too will mudsquiggle to my polling place and cast my vote.

    A quick aside: My 94-year old ex-father-in-law, a lifelong Republican with whom I argued relentlessly about Nixon and Watergate (he insisted on Nixon's innocence to the bitter end) told me that he wants to make history before his days are done ... by voting for Obama. Yes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have returned - took 2 hours - I was less than impressed by the organizational skills of my polling place. In the face of this, I tried to resist a feeling of dreaded foreboding about our country's over-taxed voting infra-structure today.

    Octopus - Your ex-father-in-law is inspiring. Truly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Almost lunchtime and there are reports of electronic voting machine breakdowns ... and even longer lines. What is wrong with good old-fashioned paper and pencil. They leave a nice paper trail and can always be scanned again in the event a machine breaks down.

    Your radically left 8pus is radically right about this, ya know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmmm... I like electronic voting, but they need to stop using Commodore 64 machines or whatever museum pieces they're using in some districts. Where I live, they use new machines that leave a paper trail. You vote onscreen by turning a physical dial to highlight your choice and then press "enter." You can check the printout before you cast your vote. I've never had any problem come up.

    On another note, just wanted to recommend Chris Kelley's sublimely silly columns in HuffPo--the guy has a great comic touch. His Latest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Last night Rachel M. interviewed the former Gov of Virginia who raised the concern of the lack of backup plans if/when electronic plans fell through. This was partly my concern watching the disorderly shuffling of folks at my polling place this morning. I kept thinking - if they can't manage the simplest of organizational issues, how will they handle a breakdown of the "machinery?" in other words - will their problem solving skills be up to the task?

    As for the media-reported concern that young people weren't voting in high enough numbers in recent days - I can report that the halls of my institution of higher ed are DEAD - morgue-like. Which would indicate . . . ?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I took my son to the polls with me and for the first time ever at my place the lines were around the building. In my area it will be a high turnout for McCain.

    We use paper ballots. I have no idea why because we then put them in a machine to tally them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here are a few articles on electronic voting machine issues, a small sample:

    Some general comments on voting machine security.

    How a Princeton University computer expert hacked into a voting machine and changed the program within minutes.

    And this story about “the ghost in the machine.”

    Dino, getting a printout of your vote does not guarantee against fraud. Its what's inside [the machine] that counts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Robert - The line was around the building when my child & I arrived as well. A daunting sight. I sighed & prayed for patience for my child - who was a real trooper. At 1 1/2 hours said child started to complain about feet hurting. But otherwise - a model pint-sized voter.

    Even most of the adults were well behaved!

    ReplyDelete

We welcome civil discourse from all people but express no obligation to allow contributors and readers to be trolled. Any comment that sinks to the level of bigotry, defamation, personal insults, off-topic rants, and profanity will be deleted without notice.