Wednesday, December 31, 2008

IN MEMORIAM

My last post of the year is an obituary, some belated, some current, for the lights that have gone out in our world during 2008:  William F. Buckley, George Carlin, Arthur C. Clarke, Heath Ledger, Paul Newman, Tim Russert, Alexander Solshenitsyn, and William Wharton, among others.   Here are some favorites of mine:

Cyd Charisse
1922-2008


Miriam Makeba
1932-2008


Isaac Hayes
1942-2008


Odetta
1930-2008


Harold Pinter
1930-2008


Eartha Kitt
1927-2008


Leonardo
(aka Mr. Underfoot)
1994-2008





















My beloved cat is gone. For the past four years, Leonardo has suffered from diabetes stabilized with twice daily insulin injections, but time and declining health finally caught up to my dear cat. Today, an angel came and took him away.

According to legend, the Eskimo have as many as a hundred words to describe what we simply call “snow.” These so-called “focal vocabularies” supply specialized terms and distinctions that are important to certain cultures. Other cultures make do with more limited vocabularies and rely on descriptors or hyphenations to form manifold meanings.

Making do with a limited vocabulary is especially true of cats. A few simple words can represent many concepts, and the difference between “meow” versus “meow” depends upon context. For instance, the first meow in the morning means, “Hungry, fill my bowl.” At other times, meow may mean, “Hello” or “Play with me.” In full ally-cat mode, yowls of meows may represent an autistic fantasy or erotic rapture.

To an intruder into the yard, hiss means, “scram!”  In the vet’s office, hiss means, “Fahgettaboudit!” Purr is reserved for emotions such as contentment and love, and make no mistake: Cats DO give and receive love. Learning cat talk comes with bonding.  Learning French is another matter.

An interviewer once asked Jacques Derrida, “What is love?” In typical, obscure fashion, he replied that the subject is too complex for an adequate discussion but suggested that one might embark upon an examination of the subject by distinguishing between “who” as a singularity of the one who is loved versus “what” as an attribute of the one who is loved.

What is meant by the phrase, “who as a singularity?” Does “who” imply some immutable aspect of the one in abstract, something so individual and unique that there can only be one example from the beginning to the end of time? Does “what” imply only an ephemeral attribute that is mortal and perishable (perhaps even causing one to fall out of love in pursuit of a “younger’ attribute)?  Does love for the “who” connote something more enduring and noble than love for the “what?”  Is Derrida being Socratic or Sophist?

When I recall my fondest memories of Leonardo, I am a shameless sentimentalist.  If Leonardo were some immutable manifestation, any abstract concept of a cat could represent Leonardo and stand in his place.  Impossible!  So I prefer to think of Leonardo, not in terms of “who” but in terms of “what:” One salt-and-pepper tabby, one furtive shadow ruffling the curtains, one furry hunchback rubbing against corners and furniture legs, one pair of triangular ears up-periscope across an expanse of table.

So what is love?  For me, the distinction between “who” versus “what” strikes me as a false dichotomy.   I have come to understand love within the context of giving and receiving … as simple, unconditional acts that merge into one and become indistinguishable.

On this, the last day of 2008, may those whom we have loved and lost find eternal peace!

4 comments:

  1. Octopus, I'm sorry to hear about Leonardo. I had never heard of the angels. My first cat got to where she couldn't stand and I had to take her to the vet to be euthanized. That was 6 years ago and I'm getting sad thinking about it now. I held her while she got the shot and went to sleep.

    It's amazing how much they grow on you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry about Mr Leonardo. I also lost one of my furry friends, Pom Pom, our little pomeranian/maltese girl. She also was old and sick, but it was sad to say good bye.
    I think the celebrity I miss most this year is Tim Russert; I think he would have been great to have around for the election.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That I'm still not over my last dog, who was put down shortly before his 21st birthday is the reason I won't have another. I know how you feel, but of course the Eskimos speak many different languages and of course the idea of a smorgasboard of snow-words is fiction.

    Anyway, I'd rather that your cat were still here than Bill Buckley.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rest in peace to all, especially Leonardo who I'm sure made it to kitty nirvana.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome civil discourse from all people but express no obligation to allow contributors and readers to be trolled. Any comment that sinks to the level of bigotry, defamation, personal insults, off-topic rants, and profanity will be deleted without notice.