Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Cannibalistic Feminism



Apparently I am not to be trifled with. I am capable of unprovoked acts of aggression. I am sleek, fast & slippery. I can even turn myself red – yes, as in color – at the least little provocation or even just for the hell of it. I possess some of the strongest visual capabilities of any creature on the planet & I have a massive brain. AND – as if all of these attributes weren't impressive enough – I am prone to cannibalistic behavior.  Yes, I am – A SQUID.

Yesterday I watched a National Geographic special on Squids & was truly amazed at the awesomeness of my Squidness - almost humbled by NG's particular footage of the Humboldt variety of squid. Such an amazing, still largely unknown creature of the very deep:



I also learned a bit more about my cousin OCTOPUS – impressive – also sneaky, deadly, & inky – but, dear (O)CT(O)PUS – I win the prize, I believe, for ruthlessness 'cause I eat my own kind . . . As I said – don't trifle with a Squid.

NOW – add feminism to this Squid thing & WOW!  What a combination! Just think!  As a Feminist Squid I can eat – without fear of recrimination from fellow Squids – any male Squid who ticks me off – & I've got the arms, tentacles & murderously sucking mouth with a flesh-tearing beak to do it! - Wow!  Just think of the envy of human & Octopi feminists on land & sea!!!  To be able to devour one's irritating men with impunity!

Who knew there were Black Widow Squids?!  (Well, sort of . . . initial sexual coupling is not a requirement for Squid cannibalism – mmmm – wait a minute . . . those spiders might be on to something . . . )

6 comments:

  1. hmmm.... feeling a little edgy lately, Squid?
    That red is quite becoming a color but I gather that is signals the beginning of the cannibalfest.
    I'm sooooo glad I'm female and land bound!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, scientists aren't entirely sure why we squids sometimes go all red. It's not necessarily in feeding or cannibal mode. We are mysterious.

    Now - I must say - in light of his recent post - my fellow cephalopod is NOT on my current menu & can breathe easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to make an attempt at poetic wit here yesterday, but no matter how late one stays up, there aren't many words that rhyme with Architoothus -- for soothus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once again, Fogg, you have sent me to googling.

    All I found was a ref to architoothus as being rising sea temperatures in an article about squid.

    Dictionary.com refused to acknowledge the word.

    I realize jokes lose their humor when they need to be explained, BUT!!!!

    Forsoothus please enlighten a not so rhetorically gifted squid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Architoothus is the giant squid, once thought to be myth, but real enough.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome civil discourse from all people but express no obligation to allow contributors and readers to be trolled. Any comment that sinks to the level of bigotry, defamation, personal insults, off-topic rants, and profanity will be deleted without notice.