Friday, January 9, 2009

CITY OF ICE!

I don't really like the cold and, given a choice, this bird would fly even further south, but I do find the abilityof these special artisans to create such complex beauty out of bits of snow and ice truly awe-inspiring.

As the saying goes, "a picture is worth a thousand words."













Several places around the globe create ice hotels like these in Alaska and Canada where you can get a room and a stiff drink, all at a pretty stiff price, but perhaps worth the cost for a once in a lifetime experience.

Many towns in colder climates have ice festivals that produce some amazing works of art like this sculpture in Alaska. Look closely and you will see not only the animals on top of the ice, but other creatures swimming in the ice!

But, in terms of complexity and sheer magnitude, Harbin, China has no equal! In a town in Northern China where the temps stay below freezing half the year, these hardy souls have found a way to make the ice come to life.

Just breathtaking, isn't it?

3 comments:

  1. Wow - reminds me of the iced over "palace" in Dr. Zhivago. Remember that? Sharif & Kristy strolling through the halls, arm in arm? Though the scene & the movie never struck me as all that romantic - probably the constant scenes of snow icing over my Grinchy heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr Zhivago is one of my favorites but I hadn't thought about the iced over palace scenes.
    I think I'll pass on traveling to one of these places or staying in the ice hotel -- just too cold looking to me.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome civil discourse from all people but express no obligation to allow contributors and readers to be trolled. Any comment that sinks to the level of bigotry, defamation, personal insults, off-topic rants, and profanity will be deleted without notice.