Friday, January 16, 2009

UNPACKING A PACK OF PICKLED BANKERS

























Shocking! The announced breakup of CitiGroup, I mean.  Once the largest bank in the world with trillions of dollars in assets under management, this once mighty giant is splitting in two.

In my previous reincarnation, Citi was my venture capitalist and single most important client, whose Board-of-Directors commissioned films, time-critical financial reports, and computer-simulated decision models from your humble servant, (O)CT(O)PUS.  Mentored by the legendary Walter Wriston, my relationship with Citi continued through the chairmanship of John Reed.

The break up of Citi marks the passing of an era, and my metamorphosis from human to cephalopod is now complete.

So here is the joke:
Two women were walking through a forest when they hear a voice.  Investigating, the women discover the voice coming from a frog.

"Help me, ladies!” begs the frog.  “I am an investment banker who has been cursed by an evil witch.  If one of you will kiss me, I'll return to my former state!"

The first woman grabs the frog and stuffs it in her handbag.  The second woman, aghast, says, "Didn't you hear him?  If you kiss him, he'll turn back into an investment banker."

The second woman replies, "Sure, but these days a talking frog is worth more than an investment banker!"

10 comments:

  1. Oh, my, looks like Mr Froggie is in quite a PICKLE!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. My apologies to everyone. Earlier by accident, I hit the "post" button instead of the "draft" button. Nevertheless, here is a final version ... "UNPACKING A PACK OF PICKLED BANKERS" ... in the spirit of Friday frog blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talking frog - big deal. Can he save me money on my car insurance?

    ReplyDelete
  4. In his latest blog entry, Krugman writes:

    Old-fashioned voodoo economics — the belief in tax-cut magic — has been banished from civilized discourse. The supply-side cult has shrunk to the point that it contains only cranks, charlatans, and Republicans.

    Just because Krugman banishes economic voodoo doesn’t mean it is forever banished. Throughout the conservative blogsphere, I see evidence of denialism, revisionism, and just plain old stubbornism. The cranks, charlatans, and Republicans will do all they can to hack themselves out of the thicket, and we'll have to do all we can to beat them back in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anyone have a clue about what he just said?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Garden variety, annoying spambot. I am deleting it.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome civil discourse from all people but express no obligation to allow contributors and readers to be trolled. Any comment that sinks to the level of bigotry, defamation, personal insults, off-topic rants, and profanity will be deleted without notice.