Friday, October 16, 2009

Bonfire of the vanities part II

Frank Schaeffer has been right in the center of the Christian Right. His father, Dr. Francis Schaeffer, is considered to be the godfather of the modern religious right movement, says an exclusive article at Raw Story. So when he says he's worried about the extent the insanity has reached and that it's all too likely that some Christian fanatic will blow up another building or make an attempt on the President's life, I worry too. All over America, the loonies are restless.

The insanity, you might ask? What about a North Carolina church planning to make a bonfire of all "Satan's" books which include, to the amazement of anyone informed about the history of Bibles, all non-King James versions. Out with that silly Hebrew and Greek stuff or whatever Moses brought down the mountain - the real one was written in Robert Cecil's dining room in Hertfordshire, like God intended.

Of course the Amazing Grace Baptist Church in Canton, N.C., says there are "scriptural bases" for the book burning, so you know it's OK with God who always defers to the Reverend Marc Grizzard particularly on matters of inerrancy and infallibility.

10 comments:

  1. Sadly, I must admit to being a North Carolinian. Seeing what happens in other Southern states, I usually view NC as a more progressive state. And then something like this comes up and I close my eyes, hoping when I open them, I'll be back in the 21st century and not caught in some time warp in 1948.
    When you drive through the town of Canton, the first thing you notice is the stomach turning smell that permeates the town and surrounding environs. I'm told it is the solvents used at the paper factory - to me it smells like rotting fish. No doubt the years of sniffing this unclean air has taken its toll on the parishioners of Amazingly Ignorant Baptist Church.
    Think I'll go hide a few choice books from my library...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazingly Ignorant Baptist Church. I could swear that church was in Central Florida. Maybe it's a franchise?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the 21st Century. Not all that different from the 12th.

    The thing that absolutely slays me, though, is that the KJV wasn't put together until the 1600s.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This stuff just ticks me off. Makes all Christians look like loonies. It's why a lot of people who go to church don't even call themselves Christians anymore...they just go to church but refuse to identify with Christianity because of groups like this perverting it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should like to attend the book burning with a fire truck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow. "Stupid" is still a best selling brand I see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder why real Christians don't denounce the insanity more. I'm guessing it's either because tribalism and the lust for power overrides any actual Christian principles or because there aren't any real Christians.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fogg,

    It may be the same reason real liberals don't always denounce the violent people that bomb polluting buildings or sabotage logging operations, even when people get hurt. Or even some of the crazier lefties...they are a fringe. Often, one doesn't even hear about those that are crazy until someone else points it out. This was the first I heard of these crazies. I went to a Christian college, and we denounced/made fun of Pat Robertson and the 700 Club a ton, often even in our school newspaper. We can't catch all the crazies, but when we hear of them, we do say "they aren't really part of us."

    So here's a denoucement for you: Those guys are crazy. I'm a Christian. They aren't.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "but when we hear of them, we do say "they aren't really part of us.""


    Thanks for pointing out that you do too and not only because it's more effective than anything I can say as a non-Christian; it's reassuring.

    I don't think they're Christians either and you're right. No matter how we identify ourselves or think we're part of, it's important to say "this is not us - this is not who we are - they don't speak for me" even though it's sometimes uncomfortable.

    Of course the fringe gets noticed the most whether it's with praise or mockery and people leading decent humble lives don't get noticed at all, especially in these extremist times.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Capt Fogg,

    Keep bringing them to the mainstream Christian's attention, and I'll keep denouncing them.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome civil discourse from all people but express no obligation to allow contributors and readers to be trolled. Any comment that sinks to the level of bigotry, defamation, personal insults, off-topic rants, and profanity will be deleted without notice.