Thursday, June 24, 2010

MEET CHARLIE

This poor, skinny little creature stumbled out of the woods and into my life several days ago. He spent two days at the vet’s (I have had so many strays, my vet and I are on a first name basis!) who determined that he doesn’t have any terminal illness. But he did have several ticks embedded around his head, ears impacted with ear mites, hook worms and lung worms. And, as you can see from the photos, Charlie is also severely malnourished.

We have estimated his age at about 8-9 months and suspect Charlie is the victim of casual cruelty, having mostly likely been dumped in the woods or left behind when his people moved out of some house nearby. While he looks pretty pitiful still, this is a great improvement from that first day.

I named him after Charlie from the Willy Wonka movie; two tow headed boys who didn’t have much going for them but still remained sweet and hopeful. Charlie the cat wants only to be with others, cuddled and petted although it is difficult to pet him much for all the exposed bony prominences.

Whoever did this will not pay the price for such cruelty under the newly minted NC Susie’s Law, named after this poor pup who was tortured and burned by her owner. His lenient sentence of probation sparked such outrage, Susie became the poster pup for the law to offer stiffer sentences for this kind of evil. Susie has patches of bare scarred skin and most of her ears are gone but she has new owners who say she remains a sweet, loving animal. You have to ask yourself WTF is wrong with someone that they would do this to a helpless animal?

Charlie on the other hand would not be seen as tortured but merely abandoned. I would cut his former owners some slack except for the fact that there are at least two animal shelters and several veterinary offices in the area where they could have put him in a box with holes and left him on the doorstep.

I have long been of an opinion that with our advanced technology too many people live that shouldn’t. So we have these pus bags walking on the same earth and breathing the same air.

Lock them up in a deep dark hole and throw away the key, please!

10 comments:

  1. Bless your heart. I, too, was known to adopt many a stray cat. The most famous was Guido, a really tough dude, who, sadly, was hit by a car.

    We gave him a decent burial and two weeks later, another stray found its way into our home.

    I've developed cat and dog allergies in my old age, and now cannot be in the same room with them, never mind roll on the floor and play with them. :-(

    BTW, speaking of creatures, does (O)CT(O)PUS know about this relative?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwww......!!!!! What a sweetie!!!! A week or two of regular meals and Charlie will be right as rain, and the love of your life.

    Congrats on your beautiful new lifetime companion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My little nephew Paul! Of course, I've known him since he was a little squirt when I used to bounce him on my knee, knee, knee, knee ...

    All my cats were shelter cats and I've loved them dearly. Leonardo was my last.

    One exception about that article on Paul, which stated that octopodes are the most intelligent of invertebrates. Not true! Octopodes are also more intelligent than vertebrates too ... especially those ... those .... (whatchacallit) ... those ad hominids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your doing a wonderful thing. I can't do much except thank you. I'm looking forward to the day when I can have an animal again. They give way more than they take. Good luck with the critter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We really can't do a damned thing about all the suffering and cruelty in the world, but we can ease just a tiny, infinitesimal bit, can't we?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Fogg, those of us who still have some humaneness left in us can at least ease the suffering in a small way.
    Charlie will bring the total of rescue cats in my house to 6, if he lives. While he shows a lot of grit, his little body is pretty battered. But if he doesn't make it, he will at least have safe shelter and a full belly and companionship.
    How many helpless beings, whether furry, feathered or human won't have that little bit as they suffer and die?
    That is what haunts my daytime thoughts and my nighttime dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rocky,

    Here's wishing Charlie and all your critters health and happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always keep two cats as roommates. And I never tire of reminding them they won the kitty lottery when they came home to my house. 8>)

    Eliot, the oldest (5 years), was rescued from exurban Kitsap County when his previous roomies were arrested for running a meth lab in Port Gamble. He was nine weeks and living with a woman who 1.) Rescued animals & 2.) Heated her home with the kitchen range. Eliot was relieved by the relative uptick in his circumstances when he moved in with me on Bainbridge Island. We since have relocated into the city and that is much more to his liking.

    Bella, the youngest (2 years). is from the litter of a cat that my wife and I found abandoned in downtown Seattle a few years ago when we were dating. Walking on a very busy street on a Sunday we heard some mewing and discovered, behind a gated fence containing utilities outside an office building, a tiny kitten. A young couple also out for a stroll with their two infants stopped as well. Without hesitation the man snaked underneath the fence and crawled through the various trash, dead rats, condoms and hypos to rescue the kitten and bring her out. Turns out he couldn't keep the kitten as he and his family were residing in separate homeless shelters. Mom and the kids at the Salvation Army. Dad at a men's shelter. Lovely people. I hope they're okay.

    So we ended up with the kitten but as this was before our marriage and we weren't living together she wasn't allowed to keep pets in her building and I had Eliot and one notoriously cranky older cat Luna (that's another story) and couldn't introduce the kitten to my brood. So the kitten went to Marianne's brother where, a year later, she gave birth to a litter. As by now Luna had moved to the country I had a vacancy. And as by now Marianne had moved in with me we chose from the litter the spitting image of the Mother.

    Sadly there are always animals neglected an in need of a place to go and I will continue to keep a couple.

    And believe you me after a day floundering in this recession and matching wits(!!??) with the vast array of reactionary knuckleheads on the internets it's a wonderful thing to sit quietly and have a cat in my lap.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful (and lucky!) feline Charlie is! Thank you, Rocky, for your generous heart.

    Even though a dog person and one allergic to cats, I still adore them (cats) and would adopt one or more if I could. As it is, I'm doomed to stick with dogs (not that it is a burden, mind you, since I consider dogs to be the best thing ever -- and much undeserved -- that has happened to people).

    I'm not a hateful person (I'd like to think), but there is a really dark spot in my heart for those who abuse animals -- and children and the elderly. The older I get, the more I am convinced that those who mistreat the most helpless among us do not deserve to live and should be treated accordingly.

    May Charlie bring as much love and light to your life as he's already gotten from you.

    P.S. Octo, since I'm a negligent blogger these days, I didn't realize that Paul was your nephew, and not your cousin. (Frankly, you all look alike.) But I apologize, still.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Dino - I'm really hoping for the health in Charlie's case.
    Arthurstone and Elizabeth - it is good to know that many people will rescue animals in peril.
    I have a lot of trouble dealing with those who abuse helpless victims be they human or beast. I cannot find it in me to be forgiving or the least bit compassionate toward these slimy parasites.
    In NC Susie's Law is long overdue and hopefully will be used frequently at to the fullest extent possible.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome civil discourse from all people but express no obligation to allow contributors and readers to be trolled. Any comment that sinks to the level of bigotry, defamation, personal insults, off-topic rants, and profanity will be deleted without notice.