Wednesday, October 6, 2010

An Instability of Ideas

Notions on the war in Afghanistan are tumbling through my mind and tugging on my emotions, demanding to be processed, refusing to coalesce, and threatening me with the dreaded bugaboo, cognitive dissonance. Don't want to write about them; can't stop thinking about them; let's see what happens when I throw them into the blog blender.


[But, first, the disclaimer: I support Democratic candidates, except where they are obviously unqualified, in which case I support the Green candidate (think SC, where they let me vote). I think Obama has done an heroic job. I think it's time for liberals and progressives to pull together. Having said that much, perhaps I should just stifle my issues with the war. Robert McNamara once said, when he was damned if he did and damned if he didn't on Vietnam, "And I would rather be damned if I don't," meaning that he'd finally decided it was time to STFU. Because, of course, he'ds actually been damned for what he did. So, should I bring this controversial topic up at a time when we need to pull together? Damned if I won't.]


Charles Krauthammer's Op-Ed for the Washington Post, Monday, Oct 4, 2010: "Has Obama Abandoned The Troops He Sent To War?"
"What kind of commander in chief sends tens of thousands of troops to war announcing in advance a fixed date for beginning their withdrawal? One who doesn't have his heart in it. One who doesn't really want to win but is making some kind of political gesture."
Krauthammer goes on to Bob Woodward's book, O'bama's Wars, and the quotation by the CinC that can be spun so many ways: "I can't lose the whole Democratic party." Krauthammer's spin is:
First, isn't this the party that in two consecutive presidential campaigns--John Kerry's and then Obama's--argued vociferously that Afghanistan is the good war, the right war, the war of necessity, the central front in the war on terror? [....]
Did he suddenly develop a faint heart? Or was the party disingenuous about the Afghan War all along, using it as a convenient club with which to attack Geroge W. Bush over Iraq, while protecting the Democrats from the charge of being reflexively anti-war? [....]
One can only conclude that Obama now thinks Afghanistan is a mistake. Maybe he thought so from the very beginning.
Krauthammer is shrewd. He's given the "weak president" spin to what had to have been and continues to be the toughest decisions a president is called on to make. That spin is predictable, despicable, typical of the right at the moment.


What I recall is that in the first days the new president was under enormous pressure from top military advisors to go all out in Afghanistan, to throw everything we had at a war he had doubts about. What I recall is that the surge and withdrawal target date announcement struck me as compromise, forcing me to trust that the President knew things I didn't...had come to know things he hadn't known during his campaign.


I continue to believe that the compromise was not politically based, but was chosen because Mr. Obama saw some possibility that a troop increase could further the goals of our war with Al Qaeda, but wanted to see smaller scale results before committing all our treasure and all our soldiers to the effort.


As to the effects of Bob Woodward's "revelations," I haven't yet read the book, but I have read more articles and blogs on the book than I can count. I've assumed that pundits like Krauthammer have culled what they consider to be the most damning quotations and I think they fail to damn. What I find damning is Krauthammer's conclusion in this piece:
"Sen. Kerry, now chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee, once asked many years ago: 'How do you ask a man to be the last man to die for a mistake?' Perhaps Kerry should ask that of Obama.
"'He is out of Afghanistan psychologically,' says Woodward of Obama. Well, he may be out, but the soldiers he ordered to Afghanistan are in.
Some will not come home."
I had my doubts about the surge then and I have them now. I wanted the soldiers home then and I want them home now. And I wish the President had worked harder to communicate with us about his decisions. But I find Krauthammer's conclusion to be a cheap shot in a profoundly significant discussion.


I believe these statements by the President, also quoted in Woodward's book and reported in the NYTimes and Washington Post, depict a leader wrestling with the best information and advice he could get his hands on, including interviews with former Sec'y of State Colin Powell, who advised, “don’t get pushed by the left to do nothing. Don’t get pushed by the right to do everything.”
 I’m not signing on to a failure,” President Obama is quoted saying near the end of this book. “If what I proposed is not working, I’m not going to be like these other presidents and stick to it based upon my ego or my politics — my political security.”
************ 
“Everything we’re doing has to be focused on how we’re going to get to the point where we can reduce our footprint. It’s in our national security interest. There cannot be any wiggle room,” 
***********
 “In 2010, we will not be having a conversation about how to do more. I will not want to hear, ‘We’re doing fine, Mr. President, but we’d be better if we just do more.’ We’re not going to be having a conversation about how to change [the mission] ... unless we’re talking about how to draw down faster than anticipated in 2011.”  

What I want to know is, what's the Right's position on Afghanistan? Are they still sorting that out? Michael Steele was roundly condemned for calling Afghanistan "a war of Obama's choosing," and, "not something the United States had actively prosecuted or wanted to engage in," (July, 2010). For once, Lindsey Graham said something I value in response to Steele's idiocy: "It was an uninformed, unnecessary, unwise, untimely comment. This is not President Obama's war, this is America's war. We need to stand behind the president."


The Republican Pledge To America acknowledges that we are a nation at war and makes not one statement on how it intends to deal with the war in Afghanistan other than that tired old phrase about supporting our troops, as if only Republicans fight. As if only Republicans care or worry for those who fight.


Last night, I watched "The Fog of War," a documentary based on a long interview with Robert McNamara on the Vietnam War. Certain quotations haunt me:
On the workings of President Johnson's mind, "People did not understand there were recommendations and pressures that could carry the risk of war with China and of nuclear war."
On allies, "If we can't persuade nations with comparable values of the merit of our cause, we'd better re-examine our reasoning."
On escalation, "This has gone from being a nasty little war to a nasty middle-sized war."
"How much evil must we do in order to do good." 
 Quoting LBJ for a memorandum on the war, "This morning, Senator Scott said, 'The war which we can neither win, lose, nor drop is evidence of an instability of ideas.'" (my emphasis) 
 I cannot sort out the jumble. I am relieved that Obama set a date to begin withdrawal, pending conditions (which ones?!). Must we maintain another presence in the region to contain Iran? Is Afghanistan our only door to terrorist training camps? Does the warrior nation mentality, which Obama opposes, demand that we keep an active front somewhere, always, and--if not in Iraq--well, then we never should have lost our focus in Afghanistan? That may well be the mindset of what Andrew Bacevich calls the Washington rules, but that is not, to my understanding, the mindset of Barack Obama.


Bob Woodward on Sept. 28th, to George Stephanopoulos:
He is an intellectual, as we know. He's the law professor...And so, intellectually, he realizes [that the situation is] real, real, hard. He knows as commander in chief, he has to do something.
And for the first time, you can see his internal struggle, his intellectual struggle. His dealing with the military. He's dealing with his political advisers.
I see a country, its political advisors, its military advisors, and its President struggling hard to do the right thing in Afghanistan--right for the Afghans, right for the Americans, right for the soldiers. There is another total review of the war scheduled for December. That process will be exhaustive, of that I am sure, because that is this President's way.




Charles Krauthammer turned this agonizing national decision into political fodder by exploiting our pain and our anguish about the human costs of war. Those costs are too real to be politicized. To imply, as Krauthammer does, that President Obama has lost interest in Afghanistan, that he doesn't care about the soldiers he's committed to that war, is the ultimate in irresponsible partisanship. Mr. Krauthammer would have been better off following McNamara's STFU motto, "I'd rather be damned if I don't."


P.S. For an excellent review of the President's decision process on the surge and withdrawal date, go to the Washington Post's Interactive Timeline for the period of September through December of 2009.

7 comments:

  1. Nance,

    This expresses so well what I've felt since Mr. Obama became president.

    I have a personal interest in this war, since my nephew is an army ranger and presently deployed in Afghanistan.

    You're absolutely correct in acknowledging that there is no quick way out of Afghanistan, and that Mr. Obama, once he became CiC, became privy to top secret info none of us, including Krauthammer, will ever know nor understand how it informs what the president decides.

    I, too, want this war to be over and to have our troops home--Matt home. But Mr. Obama did exactly what he said he would do--listened to the generals and made his decisions based on the best intel on the Taliban and Al Qaeda we had. I'm glad he has a withdrawal timetable set up--another thing he said he would stick to when he agreed to the extra troops asked for by the generals.

    I don't envy the president. It's horrible enough to make life and death decisions on a war half a world away, but he's also making life and death decisions on domestic issues that affect every man, woman, and child in this country.

    And what does he get? No! No! No! No cooperation! Nothing from the party out of power, except crazy rantings about his American citizenship and religion and his wanting to turn this country into the former USSR. Oh, and his wife will force every American child to eat healthy and exercise! What "right" does she have in encouraging good habits in our children?!

    As for Krauthammer, I have no respect for that churlish partisan and haven't since he, a psychiatrist who once was head of psychiatry at Mass. General Hospital, diagnosed Senator John Kerry as mentally ill in a column of his during the 2004 presidential campaign.

    That was grossly dishonorable and unprofessional, and it demonstrated to me how unhinged and full of partisan hatred the man is.

    His opinion of anyone on anything is worthless as far as I'm concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. McNamara seems to have mellowed out over the years. He speaks more from the heart. As a staff member, he couldn't do too much 'speaking from the heart' in public so it's good to hear him clarify his positions and share what he has since learned about Vietnam. I hope our country survives long enough for our current batch of hotheads to mature similarly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Charles Krauthammer turned this agonizing national decision into political fodder by exploiting our pain and our anguish about the human costs of war. Those costs are too real to be politicized."

    That's mostly true.

    Excepting the fact that the global war on terror and the resultant invasions and occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan turn out to have been completely political from the get go. As a means of keeping the populace cowed, off balanced and frightened out of their wits and the ruling powers secure in their positions the GWOT is a huge success. And it is nothing BUT politics.

    Exaggerate, obfuscate, lie and launch an unwinnable, unending 'war' against an ideology rather than a specific enemy. Then invade a couple of impoverished third world nations who in reality present virtually no threat to us (at least no threat that couldn't be met by far less a response than invasion) and here we are.

    Stuck. Stuck. Stuck.

    But no matter. According to this calculus the cost of the wars in treasure and human life can be borne indefinitely. Wisely the draft wasn't instituted and taxes weren't raised to pay for the whole shebang. this did two things. Firstly, it didn't piss off a generation of young people who, quite rightly might have questioned the necessity of being sent off to the desert and likely would have tweeted a very great deal about it. Secondly, given the conservative goal of destroying our government spending on the war jacked up both the deficit and the national debt while allowing that band of criminals to blame 'entitlements' 'welfare' and the like for the problem.

    In other words, reactionary politics as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, I can't add a thing to what has been said already. But as for the Kraut? Since his accident a number of years back he has become a very bitter individual and I'm not sure it hasn't twisted his brain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charles Krauthammer is a neoconservative.

    I think that Obama is very well aware of the histronics of where he finds himself and I believe that the 'withdrawal' dates that he established for Afghanistan was his way of letting the military know that they did not have an open ended war...

    The only difference between Afghanistan and Vietnam is that in Vietnam we had ports...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shaw,
    May Matt come home safe and sound.

    It's tough to defend a compromise that can't be fully explained and accounted for except by pointing to matters of public record that build a story across time. Krauthammer's accusation is diabolically clever that way. And it may be many years before the definitive answers to his accusations become declassified and clear to the public. I have faith in this, however: that it was a complex situation facing the POTUS and he approached its complexities in all seriousness, using the best decision-making skills he had at his disposal--and those were prodigious in this particular man.

    Bill,
    That's a broad and mature view you have.

    Arthurstone,
    I think you describe the Washington Rules that Andrew Bacevich delineates so well--the mindset that insists, in part, that we must have wars to justify our readiness and we must have readiness for two big wars and a brushfire at any given time; under Bush, those rules were accepted as the very essence of America; they ran amok through the world in the guise of national interests and patriotism. In the fall of 2001, most of the us embraced those rules as our salvation, without a hint of cynicism. And, when Bush advanced on Iraq, most of Congress and the country backed him. Not all, though...most notably, for this conversation, Mr. Obama.

    When I say that the costs of war are too real to be politicized, I mean that they are real to you and me, to the classes who pay for those wars through their taxes, to the classes of Americans who actually fight our wars. Neocon politics in war was played by people who don't serve or fight (which, of course, makes John McCain's recent positions all the more bizarre.)

    tnlib,
    I've got to look that accident up; I wasn't aware of it. There was a time when, while I didn't agree with him, I had some respect for Krauthammer's intelligence. I had wondered what had changed to make him so lacking in subtlety. Bitter is the right word.

    TAO,
    I am very impressed with Obama's situational awareness in the face of pressure from all sides on war and foreign policy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woodward's book is on my reading list, too.

    When Jimmy Carter was president, I came to understand something very disturbing about the charater of this country. We perceive willingness to change course, to compromise, to admit that a plan isn't working and that we need to seek other solutions, as a sign of weakness. Instead, we have great admiration for a leader who stays the course, even if that means driving off the cliff.

    Carter was perceived as weak because he didn't invade Iran to rescue the hostages or just nuke them to teach them a lesson. I never found him to be weak, just principled. I see Obama in the same light. I don't doubt that he is dissatisfied with this war. It has beome his albatross.

    No war is a good war; some are just more acceptable than others. Our collective willingness to send our young people off to die in the name of some cause or the other depresses me. Every time I hear some teary eyed parents spouting that their son died doing what he loved it makes me want to puke. As long as we, as a nation, continue to glorify war, we will never find a reason to take every step possible to avoid warfare.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome civil discourse from all people but express no obligation to allow contributors and readers to be trolled. Any comment that sinks to the level of bigotry, defamation, personal insults, off-topic rants, and profanity will be deleted without notice.