Monday, December 13, 2010

Pro-Life, but Anti-Logic

You know, sometimes, your junkmail can provide hours of fun. Or at least brief moments of humor.

For example, I get emails from a group calling themselves "Americans for Life," a particularly humorless bunch of irony-deprived pedants (or at least one pedant – I have no evidence that there’s anybody in this group except for Jonathan Ball, the purported author of all these emails).

Anyway, today’s message from Mr Ball is a fascinating note entitled
The Depravity of Planned Parenthood
Now, think about that statement for just a second. Apparently, family planning is depraved; you should never take control of your own life or responsibility for your breeding habits – God wants you to breed like dogs in heat, dropping a litter of puppies every year.

And to be honest, in the end, that's exactly what they believe. Why do you think that so many fundie families involve eight or ten kids?
Dear Bill,

As Christmas approaches, I find myself full of joy and appreciation of the many blessings God has bestowed upon me and my family.
He always starts off friendly, but it invariably goes downhill quickly.
But an email I received recently has greatly upset me.

An Americans for Life supporter informed me recently of Planned Parenthood’s Christmas campaign, “Choice on Earth.”
Well, it’s a cute marketing campaign. Why does this upset you? Because their PR people are better than yours? (And yes, the semi-random use of underlining is entirely a stylistic choice on his part. It’s like “Underscore Tourette’s” or something.)
You see, this Christianity-mocking campaign hopes to spread their message of "choice" by seeking donations to make abortion more available in 2011.

In years past, Planned Parenthood even sold “Choice on Earth” Christmas cards and t-shirts as a fundraising gimmick.

This has left me deeply disturbed.
Aw, Jonny, I think you’re giving entirely too much credit to this email - I'm thinking you were disturbed wa-a-ay before this.
The Abortion Lobby would have you and I believe that the best choice for poor, unwed teenage mothers is to end the life of their child rather than facing hardship.

That it is better for these unborn children to be killed than face a rough childhood.
Well... yes, actually. Don’t you want people to live by the words of the Bible?

“And I declared that the dead, who had already died,
are happier than the living, who are still alive.
But better than both is the one who has never been born,
who has not seen the evil that is done under the sun.” (Ecclesiastes 4:2-3)

Oh, sorry, was that rude?
However, you and I have to look no further than the birth of Christ, the very reason for the celebration of Christmas, to see why every child, no matter the parent’s situation, deserves a chance at life.

You see, Mary was young and unwed at the time of her pregnancy. She was forced to give birth to Jesus in a stable and use a feeding trough as a cradle. This was far from ideal.

How could a child born into such a situation ever grow up to be anything worthwhile?
It’s a fascinating argument. Of course, one counter position might be that in April of 1889, a child was born to Alois Hitler and Klara Pƶlzl. But that might be considered an unreasonable attitude. Plus, it's in direct violation of Godwin’s Law, and I'm already in trouble with the Internet Police. So we’ll just terminate that thought; let it die a’borning, so to speak.

Ball goes on for a while after that, yammering about the sanctity of life (something rarely found in nature, but we’ll move on), and then to his main point (and again, it’s underlined, just because he can).
Planned Parenthood must be defunded to force the closure of as many abortion clinics as possible.
Which openly ignores the fact that only three percent of Planned Parenthood’s annual budget covers abortion; the other 97% goes toward other health and reproductive needs for poor and underserved citizens. But that might be too much honesty for Mr Ball to handle.

And then, of course, he begs a lot; there are three separate links to donate money to this fine organization scattered through the last four paragraphs. Really nothing new - these guys are rarely known for their imagination.

Now, as far as I can tell, Jonathan Ball's Americans for Life is entirely different from this Americans for Life - both were founded in 1996, but have different leadership, And neither one of them seems to have any connection to the older Americans United for Life. However, it's probably important to note that Black Americans for Life is entirely unrelated to any of these previous groups - they're part of the National Right to Life Coalition

I'm assuming this is some sort of "People's Front of Judea" type of situation.



(I also think I may have stumbled on to one reason why Roe v Wade is still around.)

7 comments:

  1. Love the closing vid! Always a fan of Monty Python.
    I am dismayed at the number of women in this country who have no idea what it was like when the only abortion you could have was an illegal one. Desparate women ended up with infections, sterility and sometimes death. And yet spout off in support of government control over their bodies.
    Removing the right to choose will NOT end abortion, just move them back to a dark alley.
    I was heartened to see a group of students here in NC protesting a clinic near campus that is pro-life only. In fact, despite contradicting information from the American Cancer Society, this clinic continues to spread the erroneous notion that abortions increase the risk of getting breast cancer.
    I don't wish to see abortion clinics used as a method of birth control. I would much rather see all sexually active teens using preventatives. But if they slip or the condom breaks or there is a rape - whatever, a women should be able to make her own choice over what her body will be doing for the next nine months.
    Shouldn't these pro-lifers be home taking care of their own broods?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "this Christianity-mocking campaign"

    Well if that's what they call Christianity, I'll mock around the clock. "Superstition, bigotry and persecution" as Madison called it. How's that for mockery? "A tissue of meaningless mysteries? Nah, Spinoza was too kind.

    You know, I'm getting tired of arguments about how good religion is, how soothing, satisfying and mild as the cigarette ad used to say. Sure, maybe your church runs a soup kitchen and teaches tolerance, but looking at the totality of history, it's the most dangerous weapon of mass destruction invented and nothing it accomplishes is any better (or worse) than the sick greedy psychopathic bastards who use it so easily and well to terrorize, subjugate, dominate, terrorize and exploit mankind and make a mockery of every decent, compassionate impulse and gesture that might threaten their power or even loosen the grasp of their gruesome claws or impede their slimy course toward world domination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nameless,

    Excellent post. Thanks for your comment on my previous post. I actually am a puddle of oil, in one dimension -- it's sort of like that series LOST, where all the characters have alternate lives and destinies to work out. They're dead, but they're not dead. And so forth. Apparently, I'm not able to move on to my destiny as a puddle of oil until I "fix" a thing or two in my present state.

    Anyhow, yes, pro-choice supporters have mostly lost the rhetorical and semantics battle over the last few decades, I think, until the most outrageous and inaccurate "pro-life" views have come to be processed as mainstream and even conventional wisdom. Not that I blame the pro-choicers for this; my point is rather that the other side has lavished a great deal of care and resources on winning the battle for public perception, so perhaps nothing short of perfection would serve to oppose it.

    Here's how I've come to think about the issue over the years:

    In an ideal world, there would be no need to terminate pregnancies because they all would be wanted, voluntary, and free of health troubles. And I see no point in denying that abortion IS a sad affair when it happens, but sometimes it may be the only decent thing to do, and the alternatives may be sadder still -- injurious, ruinous, or even deadly to women. We just don't live in an ideal world. And I don't want state or federal government treating women as second-class citizens who can't control what happens to them, period.

    All that said, I don't care for simultaneously technical and yet metaphysical-tending arguments about "when human life begins" because I think they're evasive of a simple truth that we must face if we are to defend strongly a woman's right to control her own body: abortion is a negation of life. It is not merely a technical procedure, and should never be talked about as if it were. And I don't believe for one minute that women who have abortions treat it that way, though you'd never know it by listening to certain pro-life ranters and fanatics.

    Sometimes, though, pro-choice people seem to adopt this "technical" rhetoric as a quick line of defense, and while that's very understandable, I don't think it's effective with the public because it leaves that same public open to the sentimental, anguished lines of rhetoric deployed by the anti-choicers. The issue IS one that plays upon deep feelings, and if those feelings are only addressed by the anti-choice "lines," as I've labeled them, public sentiment will flow in their direction.

    Maybe that's partly how we have arrived at the current state of affairs, feeling that the struggle to keep women in charge of their own reproductive capacity, their own bodies, is an uphill one. I don't know.

    To sum up just so I'm not misunderstood: I don't mean the "negation of life" comment above as a cave-in to or co-optation by the Religious Right; I mean that I think it's the sine qua non first condition that people who support the pro-choice position (as I do) need to confront if their public rhetoric is to be effective. I'm not certain how, otherwise, one arrives at a heartfelt and secure defense of "choice" -- a term that is in itself a much consumerized, trivialized concept in American life and not one that can stand on its own as an argument.

    Would be interested to hear what others think....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love for there to be a government registry of all the anti-abortion activists. Their names would be in a sort-of lottery where all the unwanted children are "assigned" to them, like the selective service.

    My wife worked in child protective services for the state. I want to ask these anti-abortion people why there are still kids in foster care not adopted? Further, what is their plan for adopting out all the millions of unwanted children that will be created if they have their way and make abortion illegal.

    My personal feeling is the Conservatives pay lip-service to the anti-abortion interests - they don't REALLY want more demand on social service spending. That's why, after countless Republican administrations, Rowe v Wade has not been overturned. These religious nuts are being played for suckers just like the Tea Party nuts have been.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi all! Great topic and very insightful comments, as usual.

    I think it’s easy for the “pro-life” group to point fingers and, dare I say…judge? Yes, I think I dare. Planned Parenthood performs abortions, we all know that, and I think everyone, including those who have had abortions, don’t think they should be a form of birth control, like Rocky mentioned above. However, we do need safe methods, because, again like mentioned, birth control CAN fail, that’s how I got my 2nd son. I’m grateful I was married, but there are a lot of women who are using BC who aren’t married and it fails, and not all of those women can carry a baby to term then give it up for adoption, but they also can’t afford to raise it alone! It’s just NOT an easy situation! Why can’t people see that? Also to ban abortions would be paramount to murder, IMO. Women would continue to seek them and they’d end up dead. We need safe avenues for women and their health—and PPH is one of those safe avenues and for people to think they should be shut down are just, well, ignorant, because they not only help women, but teens, and many, many years ago I was one of those teens.

    I was 16 when I met my now husband and yes we had sex. (I know you all thought I was such an angel and waited for marriage.) I had insurance through my dad’s plan but I was a minor, and we all know how that works. I went to PPH in downtown Pittsburgh via bus and they gave me the pill for FREE, plus I was able to get my yearly exam, also for FREE. They did this for me until I was out of high school.

    PPH not only helps teens, but they will also help ADULT women. If a woman doesn’t have the money, they will help her for free with her health services, not just birth control. And if an adult woman has a job, they will charge on a sliding scale basis.

    I wonder if people realize that insured, upper-middle class women can have abortions right in their gynecologist’s office. It’s all so easy to hate PPH and abortion clinics because they are in plain sight but those with insurance can do it and none are the “wiser”. Not that I think it should be advertised; but some women don’t have insurance, therefore go to clinics where there are lines of protestors and no privacy and sometimes it’s even dangerous.

    I don’t have the answer but I do know that we are not the judge, jury and executioner of another. We all have life to experience and we all need to do what we must.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam! I say you were a wild one but geez, you married him! :)
    Your reasoned analysis is appreciated. Telling hormone laden teens to "just say no" is never going to cut it. Practically, they need access to birth control and protection from STDs and they need real information.
    I am not pro-abortion, but I am pro-choice because there is no better solution at present. The morning after pill may prove to be effective but there are those who believe THAT is a form of abortion. With that logic, a monthly period could be a form of abortion!
    You are right, we need to leave each person to search their own conscience and make the decision they feel is best for them.
    What galls me is the same people who want government to intervene in outlawing abortion are the same people insisting on less government interference - can't have it both ways, can they?

    ReplyDelete
  7. "What galls me is the same people who want government to intervene in outlawing abortion are the same people insisting on less government interference"

    Sugar coated authoritarianism. What they want is less government interference in their agenda - an agenda that has little to do with the constitutional protection of individual freedom.

    By in large it's the same movement that opposed universal suffrage,(not God's will) the freedom to marry whom one pleases, (not God's will)the emancipation of slaves, (not God's will for some of them) and all kinds of things having to do with consensual sex.

    Hell, it's the same group that opposed the Constitution and Bill of Rights which were about the will of the electorate, not of God appointed authority.

    That sheep's clothing really should be obvious by now.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome civil discourse from all people but express no obligation to allow contributors and readers to be trolled. Any comment that sinks to the level of bigotry, defamation, personal insults, off-topic rants, and profanity will be deleted without notice.