Friday, February 14, 2014

Four Score and Ten

This morning I began my 70th year of breathing and as it's inevitably another year closer to the cessation of that respiration, I like to acknowledge both disturbing facts by beginning something new.  I bought a new motorcycle and coincidental to February being Black History Month as well as the month of my birth, I began to read a new poet: Derek Walcott. 

Of course I mean new to me.  I've never been without a motorcycle for almost 50 years and Walcott won the Nobel Prize for literature over 20 years ago and is hardly new to anyone literate.  But a personal discovery, a new love,  is a rejuvenating thing even if others discovered the same thing long ago. 

Old men do look backward as they have less to look forward to.  I remember the first time I heard "Chicago" blues on a street corner along Maxwell Street on Chicago's South side. To a kid brought up on classical music it was a revelation from which I was swiftly whisked away, but firmly imprinted is the vision of three black men dressed in black, with electrified instruments, black with mother of pearl and white smiles and eyes remarking on who that boy was, looking at them as though they were the most amazing thing I had ever heard.    Maxwell street was a black man's world in the 1950's.  So was the Caribbean when I  'discovered' it a few years later, so inviting, so mysterious and wonderful yet, like a parallel universe removed and inaccessible.  Even now I go back as often as I can. 

It's 1955. You can stand on the corner listening, you can tune into WVON in Chicago on that homemade radio and hear Buddy Guy and Bo Diddley. WJJD might play some white guys playing more or less sanitized versions they had begun to call Rock & Roll.  I could wander in December around still British Nassau, much farther than from the cold and grimy North than it is now,  but always it was looking through the knothole at the 'real' world and never having a ticket to the game.

Caribbean born Derek Walcott, Poet, playwright and painter is no less a porthole but also a door into a wider world for me, if sadly a reminder of  my own inescapable mediocrity and it's a world far  wider than his native St Lucia where the sun always shines and the iceman ventureth not and where the impossibly blue water crackles in the wind and washes up my childhood like waves on the sand.

 One step over the low wall, if you should care to, 
recaptures a childhood whose vines fasten your foot.
And this is the lot of all wanderers, this is their fate,
that the more they wander, the more the world grows wide. 

Indeed it does.

11 comments:

  1. Happy birthday old guy. Yes, there is more time to look back on than forward to, but there are still things to discover and reasons to get up in the morning. You're not alone in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Cap,

    Those are some interesting memories indeed. Bo Diddley was a favorite of my music-loving uncle. Even Grandpa loved Chuck Berry. When I think of electric blues, I think of Muddy Waters and maybe Junior Wells on harmonica. I can't say that my introduction to rock and roll occurred over the airwaves. The most significant thing that happened to me as a youngster was waiting for a ride home after my music lesson at a private house in 1970. Somebody was walking down the street wailing on a blues harmonica. I finally figured out how to do that five years later or so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Captain! Look forward to many more.

    Oh, and age is just a number. If you plan to be planning what you'll be doing tomorrow as you lay on your death bed years down the line you will never grow old.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buon compleanno, Capitano! Per cent'anni! (As my Nonno would have said.) Bo Diddley was a favorite of mine as well. And so many others of that era. Today made me remember another singer I will never forget.

    Enjoy your discovery of Derek Wolcott, and the never-ending discovery of the world growing wide.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just now noticed that it should have been titled three score and ten as the Bible allots us. I'm 69 not 79, which I suppose is a damn good reason to be thankful! Yes, I remember Sam Cooke - it all seems like yesterday.

    Indeed, there's still a world to discover and there always will be. I just thought February was a good time to acknowledge how much of the culture that's affected my generation originated in the African and African - American culture. Sometimes I don't know whether to appreciate its separateness or its integration with the greater culture more, but it's given us so much in the realm of art, literature, poetry and the music that defines Western culture as a whole.

    It's funny, but so many parents of people my age were terrified of Rock & Roll and I was not encouraged to listen to it, even though my parents were liberals. I'm not sure what was supposed to happen to me with an overdose of Chuck Berry and Little Richard -- or God forbid the blues, but it did get me into building radios at the age of ten, and electronics has been part of my life since then, just like music.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday, Captain. Sorry that I'm a bit late but I missed reading your post until tonight. I know what you mean about the delight of discovering a new love even if others have already known of its existence. Walcott is an excellent choice; his poetry has the lilt of the Caribbean.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cap,
    My apologies for this belated birthday greeting. Does this make you a Birther now?

    My father was the one who gave me the hardest time about the music of my generation, and I had to literally go underground - hiding music, listening to music when he was out of range, suffering his disparaging remarks. It turned me into a very private person.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We forget what the public reaction to Rock music was. It bordered on violence and was seen as almost as dangerous as Communism. It's good to remember how reactionary America was in the 50's.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What is reactionary now was mainstream at one time. What is mainstream today will be reactionary in 60 years hence...

    ... and so it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sicut erat in principio, et nunc, et semper, et in sæcula sæculorum?

      Delete
  10. A bit belated but Happy Birthday and I'll be looking for the actual four score and ten IF I live that long!

    ReplyDelete

We welcome civil discourse from all people but express no obligation to allow contributors and readers to be trolled. Any comment that sinks to the level of bigotry, defamation, personal insults, off-topic rants, and profanity will be deleted without notice.