Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Some thoughts on prejudice

 Well, if you told me you were drowning
I would not lend a hand
I've seen your face before my friend
But I don't know if you know who I am
Well, I was there and I saw what you did
I saw it with my own two eyes
So you can wipe off that grin,
I know where you've been
It's all been a pack of lies

 -Phil Collins-


What is an observation without a frame of reference?  We like to think we can observe facts and make rational deductions, but we can't.  Anyone with training in psychology as it pertains to law enforcement  is likely to tell you that eye witness accounts of the same occurrence will vary markedly and it's been clearly demonstrated that observers concentrating on one thing will be completely unaware of  important people and objects in their direct view.

When I read about an unarmed African American "child" kneeling with his hands up being shot multiple times, I was truly irate, I was ready to write off reports of his just having perpetrated a class B felony and his having charged a policeman who had ordered him to stop as racism. It fits with my habitual beliefs about the police and racism.  I may well have been totally wrong and it may not be the first time, but if it turns out that the 6 foot 4 200 pound "Child" did in fact charge the officer, things might just be other than I was primed to believe.

You might relate it to the halo effect: the tendency to have a view of people and things because of, in this case, his being a member of a traditionally disadvantaged class We do after all read about all sorts of injustice based on race and racism seems to explain a lot. But sometimes, of course we're wrong. Sometimes we fail to see things through the eyes of people who run stores and gas stations in "bad" areas whose lives are in danger every day.  Is it too easy for me  to condemn it from the safety of my gated community and the comfort of my air conditioned office? It depends on your viewpoint, your frame of reference, the things you associate with other things because your human and you have a memory.

For most of my life, I was firmly convinced that Julius and Ethyl Rosenberg were framed.  I galled me that they were Jews and their trial and execution would reflect on me.  I found it easy to find detailed opinions as to their having been innocent. There were lots of people who agreed, lots of signs and protests from lots of convinced people. People I despised were convinced of their guilt. I was ready to see the whole sad affair as yet another example of the persecution of liberals and most of all Jews.  In fact I was passionate about it. I was wrong.

But we see connections between things, relationships, reminders and all the things that lumped together are called bias and prejudice.  Watching the endless coverage of the gruesome and heartbreaking killing of Stephen Sotloff -- the tall dark man with the knife condemning Obama, blaming Obama for what he was about to do and threatening to do it again and again, in the name of peace and freedom  My rage and loathing must surely have been augmented by the years and years of hearing similar rhetoric from Republicans of all sorts, from Fox News to barber shop conversations. It's going to be hard to temper my rage at the endless Obama bashing and ceaseless hatred of human values. These things are inexorably linked in my mind.

And what do we think of Vlad the Invader?  Putin is an arrogant, dishonest, power hungry autocrat, contmptuous of  Democracy, decency, human rights and Liberty. Contemptuous of us. Have you been listening to how Fox and its followers have been praising him as the kind of bold, confident leader American needs?  If you're a Republican you will have forgotten this instantly, but you'll still be contemptuous of Obama and blame him for being weak, for not waving our nuclear penis around. I still remember though and every time I hear you barking about strength, I will associate it with your fascination with tyrants. Evey time you call Obama a tyrant I will remember. Every time I hear you call him weak and indecisiveness, I will associate it with your praise of ruthless aggression.  I will never, ever trust you to tell us the time of day even if my watch confirms it. I know who you are and what you've done and it's all been a pack of lies.

So, yes, I'm human.  Yes, I know there is wisdom and enlightenment in trying to see things through other eyes, but there is discomfort in equal amounts from remembering, from associating or correlating one thing with another. I suffer from rage and closed mindedness and prejudice like everyone else does, so when I see bloody handed monsters I will think of Republicans. When I hear the word "conservative" I think of hate, of tyranny, of  arrogance -- of evil.  the camera can't show it, but I know that face behind the black mask and I see him everywhere.

13 comments:

  1. Amerika is the longest running soap on TV. In my last post, perhaps I should have called Amerika the "Lolita People." I refer, of course, to Vladimir Nabokov’s ironic and sarcastic road novel that personified Amerika as a precocious underage nymphet in the person of Dolores Haze, and dirty old man Europe in the person of Humbert Humbert.

    So, does that mean Amerika is "impulsive, impetuous, and adolescent?” Alliterative, perhaps, but not all that jazzy. How about: “A nation of motel belles and upstart tarts hurtling headlong in the fast lane of history.”

    “In the end, I didn’t seduce her; she seduced me,” Humbert Humbert’s flaccid admission.

    It just goes to show. Not every Vladimir is a rootin’ tootin’ arms smugglin' Putin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "So, does that mean Amerika is "impulsive, impetuous, and adolescent?”

    To me it's that America is unwilling to consider viewpoints not authorized by their sect or tribe or party or race or any other ridiculous division and delusion we invent for ourselves. The world is swallowing us up yet I listen to CNN interviewing the Secretary of Defense right now and all I hear is a TV pretty boy trying to make Hegel's words support the CNN meme du jour:: that Obama is unprepared, doesn't have a plan, isn't aware of his options. It's just more Media vaudeville and all the while we're still flogging "hands up" T-shirts and pretending there is some sort of Benghazi scandal and that Iraq is a failed country because Democracy didn't emerge as it would of if Bush were still president. We rave and we snicker and we're absorbed in our own petty interests, each with their own cheerleaders and propagandists and each seeing only what he's predisposed to see, willing to see, longing to see.

    I have seen the enemy and he is us and I see no end to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And already the hate brigade is blogging that Obama would rather duck tape their mouths or simply duick when they attack us. No, I'm not going to link -- I'd rather have ebola then give them the traffic.

    Gates of hell? These ARE the gates of hell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Amerika is the longest running soap on TV, my only regret about dying is in not living long enough to see how the story ends.

      Delete
    2. More likely with a snark than a whimper, Headlines today read "Defeat of ISIS unlikely under Obama" as though it's because of his inadequacy. Have we become so embroiled in vicious partisanship that we can't do anything about anything? I'm so disgusted, I could puke.

      I don't think one can defeat an ideology or a religion since such things adapt too readily and that's what ISIS is. Perhaps it's like old Obiwan said - you kill me and you make me stronger. I'm all for killing them though and I'm angry enough not to give a damn about collateral damage.

      Delete
    3. Captain,
      I too read the headlines today - and the conservative commentary that has declared Obama as clueless and incompetent.

      I do not necessarily interpret Obama's statements yesterday as mutually contradictory - as the Cringe Fringe prefers to characterize them. If there is an appearance of "mixed messaging," perhaps it mirrors the ambivalence of a war-weary American public:

      "No boots on the ground ..."
      "Go into Syria and bomb ISIS to hell ..."

      Inasmuch as there are no easy solutions, perhaps the better part of valor is to enlist allies in the region. Yes, there are moderate governments in the Middle East that perceive ISIS as an "existential threat" as much as we do. But the Cringe Fringe doesn't want to read about the full range of available options or tolerate any commentary that disagrees with their slash-n-burn rhetoric.

      Wouldn't it be better to go in as a coalition as opposed to "going it alone" and taking this burden exclusively upon ourselves? Ah, but we have become an impatient and impetuous people unwilling to delay immediate gratification. We want our revenge NOW but are not willing to wait for a better plan.

      Delete
  4. America (the United Stated), my country, the land my ancestors set foot on almost 400 hundred years ago ain't perfect (;O)CT(O)PUS but it by far better than many, quite possibly most.

    I get your implication when you spell my country Amerika, and I am offended by it. Frankly I find it pathetic, deeply so.

    If the goal is to work to improve America making it truly the land of freedom and liberty for all with opportunity available to all let's have that discussion. However, when you openly disrespect my country you effectively close off the possibility of me listening.

    My only regret about dying is not being able to see the principles this nation was founded on ultimately prevailing.

    Prejudice indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get your implication when you spell my country Amerika, and I am offended by it. Frankly I find it pathetic, deeply so.

      And I am shocked at what I perceive to be an over-reaction, a veritable shot from the hip lacking forethought. Perhaps you should have asked what I had in mind - FIRST - before running off the reservation.

      As the good Captain points out: Amerika is simply the German spelling of an unfinished story by Franz Kafka, the story of a boy who emigrated to Amerika. An earlier post written by “yours truly” also contained a play on words (“Wortspiele) in the title:

      The French name for the United States of America is “Aux Etats Uni, which I changed to “Aux Etats Sunni … pronounced exactly the same but with the new meaning, “The State of Sunnis.” Sorry you missed the juxtaposition and the point.

      Furthermore, if you read my comment above (at 1:25 PM, September 03, 2014), perhaps you might have noticed these word plays:

      “all that jazzy”
      “upstart tarts” and …
      “flaccid admission.”

      Perhaps, if you knew anything about the works of Vladimir Nabokov, you would have known about his infamous use of word play and anagrams and irony.

      Last, but by no means least, you know damn well my daughter is a career officer in the U.S. Army and currently stationed in the Gulf (Qatar to be exact). Yet you make the erroneous assumption that my playful use of words is somehow anti-American and disrespectful of my daughter’s service.

      I won’t hold it against you this time; but next time, you should look before you leap, and ask before you attack.

      Delete
    2. Comment Redux: Get a grip before you gripe.

      Delete
    3. I know what it is. I have a grip. And your comment is interesting. Mine was not an attack. Sorry you see it that way.

      I am offended by ANYONE who spells my country America. At the same time I have said repeatedly our nation is, and has been trending facist for some time. Guess you don't know me too well.

      I will keep my views and thoughts to myself from now on.

      I respect your daughter and am appreciative of her service.

      Delete
    4. Again, you misinterpret my comment. I am NOT asking you to withhold your views and thoughts; I am asking you to be more circumspect and seek clarification before going on the offensive. A sullen defensiveness serves neither one of us.

      Delete
    5. Actually I didn't misinterpret your comment. It is I who considered the value of withholding my views and comments that you may find unacceptable or upsetting if posted on your forum.

      Again, stating my feelings and views is not going on the offensive or attacking you.

      Sullen defensiveness? Perhaps, but most likely not as I have no need to defend. This is not a war and my views account for diddly in the broader scope of things ad life in general.

      Delete
  5. I guess back in the day the German spelling was supposed to remind us of Nazi repression but really, the government of today is so dysfunctional it reminds me more of Mexico. The Nazis were efficient, if nothing else.
    We can't get Congress to agree on the time of day. Hell, contempt for the government and contempt for the idea of government seems to define American politics today.

    I'm so disillusioned that I'm not sure anyone will live to see liberty and justice for all, human nature being as disgusting as it is and the science of bamboozlement being as advanced as it is. Perhaps Estados Unidos would be more appropriate to current conditions than die Vereingten Staaten?

    ReplyDelete

We welcome civil discourse from all people but express no obligation to allow contributors and readers to be trolled. Any comment that sinks to the level of bigotry, defamation, personal insults, off-topic rants, and profanity will be deleted without notice.