Monday, October 27, 2008

By way of introduction

I'm new here and thought I might give a little background on myself and my views. While I do support the Dems in general and Obama in particular, I grew up in a conservative, mainstream environment and am influenced by those years. Indeed, where I lived, the 60's was a time when parents played bridge on Friday nights and kids got a soda after school or met at the library to finish up their homework.

Schools in my area were quiet institutions where students could depend on a traditional, if not classical education. With Berkeley and Cal State Hayward to the east, Stanford to the south and San Francisco State in between, young people in my area had real choices for serious study.

A few places popped up to give young people a place to meet and make friends on weekend nights. Many had live music and friendly vendors outside selling all manner of unusual products. For those who might not be feeling well, there was a whole host of medicines and even herbs and spices!

Once your poor feelings were treated, you could meander inside and listen to as many as four or five ensembles a night play a nice selection of ballads or heart warming love songs. It was a magic time and I enjoyed all it had to offer.

Here's one female artist who typifies just what I'm talking about. Although I don't recall her name (can you help me out here, Fogg?) her slow, melodic and soulful ballads were both relaxing and moving at the same time.



With tongue firmly in cheek, I look forward to working with you all here at The Swash Zone.

4 comments:

  1. Ah - Janis. You're going to make me cry here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Memories from a long time ago, I can't remember the year but there was a place in the East Village where I first saw Janis. The Fillmore. She went on all night and didn't stop until the sun came up. It was kinda weird stepping out into the early morning light ... hearing birds chirping in the trees after being pent up with Janis all night. Even the Hell Angels came out dazed. One experiences something like that only once in a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOVE Janis J. Drives my child nuts when I listen to her CD in the car (need to work on my child's taste in music).

    Octopus - you saw her?! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the early days she played with Big Brother and they frequented the Avalon Ballroom and Longshoremans Hall in SF. Her career skyrocketed after Monterey of course so she wasn't seen much locally after that. This was just a little tease for Fogg who I know is a huge Janis fan, as I am.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome civil discourse from all people but express no obligation to allow contributors and readers to be trolled. Any comment that sinks to the level of bigotry, defamation, personal insults, off-topic rants, and profanity will be deleted without notice.