Monday, October 20, 2008

Learning From the Younger Crowd

I've been noticing a certain acerbic tone in my young child’s manner of speaking to me lately. Ill-tempered & impatient, to be exact. Now – I could, of course, explain this away by saying – “oh well, it’s the age” or “kids will be kids” etc. Yes. Mmmm Well. Um. Except for the fact that my child’s tone, manner, demeanor is beginning to seem oddly familiar. Like I’ve heard it before. Many times. Recently. A lot. Yes - hauntingly familiar. As if I am listening to my own reflection in a mirror. Could it be that my child is taking cues from dear old mom about how to communicate?

What’s that old expression about things going around & coming around?

Today as I was approaching my classroom building for my next class I was wading through the usual crowd of my students hanging around the door smoking like chimneys & generally lollygagging. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed one of my students grin & wave at me. I aimed my patented, squid-sarcastic look in his direction. As I passed into the building I heard him say, “She hates me, I know it.” Rolling my eyes heavenward I headed to my classroom.

A few minutes later as my students strolled into class, my “she hates me” student headed for his seat. I called out – in an ever so SO sarcastic voice – “Hello so & so. I like you so & so.” He turned & grinned sheepishly & said “See – I thought so, but I’m never quite sure.” Then we both laughed heartily.

It struck me later that this incident – like my struggles with my ornery child – is yet another example of the cycle of human interactions. How one person behaves or speaks informs how another person behaves & speaks, etc etc etc . . .

Both my child & my “she hates me” student have reflected back to me my own moodiness & manner respectively. Reminding me that I can not act & react in a vacuum. That I must bear responsibility for HOW I am.

What has this got to do with anything at issue on this blog?

It seems to me from recent posts on this blog - reporting about happenings on the campaign trails - that there is a lot of meanness & ill will being circulated around this land of ours. The debating of political issues has become thoroughly dumbed down into overly & overtly personalized & poisonous rhetoric. I too am guilty of this. I have been mightily & heartily sarcastic – not just critical – but sarcastic – about Sarah Palin. And it is my sarcasm that I am increasingly bothered by. Towards SP I am not playfully sarcastic as I am with my students. No. I have been aggressively sarcastic towards her & her running mate. And this sarcasm does NOT make me feel any better. It is not healthy blowing off of steam. No. It’s not. Call me a whimp – but it is really bothering me. I have allowed SP's own idiotic rhetoric to suck me into more of my own idiotic - yes, idiotic - rhetoric in retort. Where does it end?

I am not claiming that I am ready to go out & start slashing the tires of cars bearing McCain/Palin stickers. However – the angry desire to slash someone’s tires starts somewhere, doesn't it? People are not born inherently disposed to have evil tendencies towards tires. So how did we go from name calling to vandalism? What will be the next leap into the depths? As a collective electorate – what are we now demonstrating about ourselves? And I do mean COLLECTIVE. Are any of us really above the fray at this point?

Perhaps the phrase “what goes around comes around” needs to be modified to “be mindful of what you send around because it may come back around upon you in an even more disturbing form.”

Or maybe I am just an idyllic, idealistic, delicate flower in need of watering. I don't know.

BUT I do know - that if I want my child to learn how to speak in a more reasonable, polite voice it would be nice if I modeled such behavior for him. Might there not be a lesson in this? As for my "she hates me" student - a reminder to me that sometimes by simply owning our behavior we can get a smile & be understood.

9 comments:

  1. Squid, I wouldn't feel bad about pegging certain pols as what they obviously are: mean-spirited, ambitious demagogues who knowingly whip up a potentially lethal frenzy in their ill-educated supporters. They don't deserve overly polite words; every time anyone shows them more than a minimum of civility, they take it as weakness and proceed accordingly. Representative politics has always been a dirty business, as a look back at C18/C19 newspaper and pamphlet would suffice to convince anyone. Lincoln's enemies called him an ape, if I recall correctly. I would agree that we shouldn't resort to the worst and most personal characterizations--criticisms should be accurate and of a sort that could be spoken to another's face without hesitation. William Blake wrote, "Always be ready to speak your miind, and a base man will avoid you." (Unless, of course, he's drunk, in which case he'll probably kill you.) But on the whole, yes, going on for very long about other people's defects is a waste of time and energy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Squid, when I find myself agitated or angry, I look for laughter, something to break my mood. When I read your post, I did a little off-road googling and found these:

    Mad Kane’s Political Madness
    Limericks by Madeleine Begun Kane:

    Chafing At “Chick”
    When a guy calls a woman a chick,
    It strikes me as sexist and sick.
    But my comments are tame;
    Unless Richard’s his name,
    I’m polite and I don’t call him dick.


    Finally, A McCain Statement I Can Agree With
    McCain’s very wrong about war
    And on health care and taxes and more.
    But he’s right (though it’s rare)
    With his “life isn’t fair,”
    Cuz what else could explain Bush v. Gore?


    Ode To John “Air-Quotes” McCain
    Many voters ask: Whose views are best,
    As opposed to the drinking-pal test.
    But whichever the measure,
    Obama’s my pleasure.
    McCain? He’s a cranky old pest.


    Sarah Who???
    Dear Johnny, I can not conceive
    What could possibly make you believe
    That your anti-choice pick
    Could possibly click
    With us Hillary-gals. How naive!

    You must think that we women are sheep,
    Who would swoon at a female for Veep.
    But a right-wingnut gal
    Who’d control our canal?
    Oh, that hole that you’re digging is deep.

    Yes, your pick has a beautiful face
    And she’ll help you to shore up your base.
    But she’s wrong to the core
    And (like you) she’s just more
    Of Bush/Cheney … with feminine grace.

    - - - - - -
    I am trying to think of a limerick starting with
    My eyes are bloodshot and runny
    I hoped you would find these funny ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My eyes are all bloodshot and runny
    I hoped you would find these words
    funny
    But I hardly have time
    To assemble a rhyme
    Now that I've lost all my money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My eyes are all bloodshot and runny.
    I hope you will find these words funny.
    Squid, my friend,
    The world will not end
    If the winner is Obama, McCain, or Bugs Bunny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We need to know about Bugs' plan for economic recovery. Hasn't he been seen palling around with known terrorist Yosemite Sam? Who paid for him to go to Harvard?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ballot Box Bunny: The Sequel
    The wabbit is twouble for McCain,
    The bunny most “Loveable and Literate.”
    He may be a toon
    And a bit of a buffoon
    But McCain is by far the nitwit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Squid: the cycle of human interactions

    May I recommend this? A movie called "Five people you meet in heaven."

    Only one problem, I don't see an afterlife in my future. Cynicism aside, the movie is still kinda sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember that film -- it's well worth watching, though I can't recall the specifics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. a reminder ... that sometimes by simply owning our behavior we can get a smile & be understood

    My name is (O)CT(O)PUS and I approve this message.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome civil discourse from all people but express no obligation to allow contributors and readers to be trolled. Any comment that sinks to the level of bigotry, defamation, personal insults, off-topic rants, and profanity will be deleted without notice.