Monday, December 22, 2008

Sorry - But I Am An Angry Feminist Today

Not to be a divisive downer at holiday time, but Katha Pollitt offers some troubling food for thought on the issue of Rick Warren & the inauguration.

To be blunt - As a feminist - I am sick & tired of men such as this being held up as "OK" - & what better way to say that someone is "OK" than to give them such an international stage. And don't, Mr. Obama, talk to me about the need to make nice with his sort. Don't talk to me about the need for us all to overcome our differences. NO! It's time for the Rick Warrens of the world to learn how to make nice with us! HIS SORT needs to learn to overcome OUR differences. I am sick & tired of having to do their work for them because all that means is that THEY WIN! Much of this election was about the fact that the Warrens & Dobsons of the world were becoming more shrill! Why the hell are we appeasing them?

No - I will not be nice or quiet about this. I have been being asked by my society to let male sexists off the hook ever since I was a girl. I've been told for decades to be patient - that change takes time. Well - I am sick of it! I am tired of waiting for some kick-back - like full respect & equality in my society - for my peaceful efforts. For women, Warren is a disrespectful choice (& for other "groups" as well.)

I am such a tired, worn out feminist today . . .

6 comments:

  1. I honestly can't fathom Obama's reason for choosing that demented piece of shit. The people he might be courting by doing this would never be his fans anyway.

    Can I be the only one who has cringed every time Obama professed his Christianity? Still, I never thought it would come to this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Fogg. I am - as you have probably gathered - a liberal liberal liberal . . . I knew when I voted for Obama that he was not liberal enough for me - but then neither was HC. But of course voting for the democratic ticket was a no-brainer considering the alternative.

    I do like Obama. Don't get me wrong. but I am not pleased with politics as usual beginning his tenure.

    I will do a follow up post about why this Warren thing is so hard for me to swallow - its a straw breaking my suidly camel's back, as it were. I was just too angry today to explain.

    Thanks for listening though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Squid pro quo,

    When you’re feeling this way, remember this Serenity Prayer from the pages of the “The Porpoise Driven Life:”

    Almighty Cod:
    Grant me the Serenity to read the blogs I cannot edit,
    The Courage to edit the blogs I can,
    And the Wisdom to whack the hell out of any troll who gets in my way.


    Yours,
    8pus

    ReplyDelete
  4. On a more serious note, Obama has chosen Elizabeth Alexander to read a poem at his inauguration:

    She will be just the fourth "inaugural" poet, joining Robert Frost, who read "The Gift Outright" at Kennedy's inauguration, Maya Angelou, who read "On the Pulse of Morning" at Bill Clinton's first inauguration, and Miller Williams who read "Of History and Hope" at Clinton's second.

    A great choice, in the humble opinion of 8pus. Does this assuage a fellow cephalopod's inky mood?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alexander is a great choice. I certainly won't dispute that. But no, it does not assuage my mood re RW - only his withdrawal from the whole thing would.

    And thanks for the "prayer."

    ReplyDelete
  6. My but there seems to be a lot of hate at this site; both blogger and commenters.

    I thought you liberals were all about peac,e love and understanding? Tolerance and all that?

    ReplyDelete

We welcome civil discourse from all people but express no obligation to allow contributors and readers to be trolled. Any comment that sinks to the level of bigotry, defamation, personal insults, off-topic rants, and profanity will be deleted without notice.