Monday, January 26, 2009

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Today marks the start of the Chinese New Year, the Year of the Ox.

The Chinese Zodiac is said to follow the stations of Jupiter's orbit around the sun, which is just shy of 12 years. The animals mark years in a 12-year cycle that begins with rat, horse, ox, goat, tiger, monkey, rabbit, rooster, dragon, dog, snake and pig.

The animals were not always a part of the Chinese calendar and when exactly they were integrated is unknown, although there are several legends:

One story has Buddha, others, the Jade Emporer inviting all the animals in the kingdom to a meeting. Some animals outwit others to get there first, with their places in the zodiac assigned according to when they arrived.

Another involves a competition that includes a river crossing followed by a gathering at the emperor's palace. The kindly ox agrees to carry the scheming rat and the cat across the water on his back, but the rat betrays his friend the cat by pushing him into a swift current and hops off the ox to claim the top spot.

However the animals and their order were chosen, each animal has a set of characteristics said to be shared by any human born in their year. My year is the year of the Goat and, according to the Chinese zodiac, I am:

Creative, wise, gentle, artistic, passionate, elegant, warmhearted, honest, ability to solve their own problems, deeply religious, able to make money from their own business.
AND
Pessimistic, timid, shy, disorganized, vulnerable, like material much more than spiritual comforts, easily fail from pressure, complaining.

I don’t know, makes me sound like a multiple personality! You can find your own corresponding animal and traits, plus buy some very nice charms :) at this site. Scroll down to the end of Q4 and click on the animals to find your year in the sentence:

“An animal is rejected by the one on the right opposite site in the Zodiac Circle. Rat and Horse, Ox and Goat, Tiger and Monkey, Rabbit and Rooster, Dragon and Dog, Snake and Pig are all rejected each other.”

Or, just visit your favorite Chinese restaurant and read the placemats!


7 comments:

  1. Disadvantages of Octopus people: Honest, reliable, brave and chivalrous, kind, affectionate, thirst for knowledge, deep knowledge.

    Advantages of Octopus people: Prefers living a wonton life, will never be lo mein on the totem pole, impulsive, short tempered, greedy, enjoys eating tasty foods, solitary. Motto: Cogito ergo dim sum.

    Yup, thats an Octopus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting that "happy New Year" has a double meaning this time. The word for Ox is pronounced much like the English "new"

    Horoscopy of any kind makes me shudder with loathing, but I guess I would be one of those rooster people which if it meant anything would have me be: Courageous, hardworking, deep thinkers, withstand work pressure, shrewd, like to learn, highly developed in ability to work, definite, skillful, enjoy cooking and having a restaurant business.

    I'd sooner die than have a restaurant - or any job for that matter. I don't work well with others. I'm lazier than a barnacle. OK I like to grill and I like to read, but otherwise - so much for the wisdom of placemats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, 8pus! I especially like your play on words: "...lo mein on the totem pole."

    Oh, I don't know Fogg, "deep thinker, withstand pressure.." I bet you fit in there better than what you're "fessin' up to.

    I don't really hold much stock in magic, horoscopes and the like but the placemats can provide a temporary diversion.

    I do love the fact that the Chinese spend 15 days celebrating the New Year. One night just doesn't seem like enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love the fact that the Chinese spend 15 days celebrating the New Year.

    Followed by a hell of a hangover ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I have something hanging over my front door that is to ward off evil spirits. Then I have two Chinese and one Thai 'spirit houses' then there are all the stuff hanging around that is to bring wealth, happiness, prosperity, and good fortune...and all I want to know is why I am still working so hard? :)

    Its about time some of this stuff starts kicking in and making things happen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Health food warning: Don't order ...
    Sum Dum Octopus
    It won't agree with you ... trust me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never order octopus or squid - I would feel like a cannibal!

    ReplyDelete

We welcome civil discourse from all people but express no obligation to allow contributors and readers to be trolled. Any comment that sinks to the level of bigotry, defamation, personal insults, off-topic rants, and profanity will be deleted without notice.