Saturday, February 28, 2009

An End to the Iraq War in Sight

Obama's Iraq withdrawal speech today was excellent - his best speech in awhile. In case you missed it, here are the main points: an end to combat missions in Iraq by August 31, 2009 2010, and a 35,000-50,000 troop residual force that will be fully withdrawn by the end of 2011, as per our agreement with the Iraqi government. Obama was also clear about his intent to help our soldiers and their families - the biggest applause line from the soldiers at Camp Lejeune where he spoke was for Obama saying he will raise military salaries. And he sounded truly sincere in his praise of the Iraqi people.

One thing that really stood out to me about the speech was that Obama mentioned his commitment during the campaign to a 16-month withdrawal - and then highlighted that he was settling, after much consultation with the military commanders, on an 18-month withdrawal. Many on the left are disappointed in this, but I find it thrilling that he didn't try to cover up the two-month difference, he didn't try to hide the fact that his policy shifted slightly. Listen carefully to how he actually emphasizes 18, as if to draw increased attention to the alteration. This man isn't concerned with typical cover-your-butt politics, he wants to inform the American people to the greatest extent possible. He wants to help, he wants to teach, he wants to be an effective Commander in Chief. He is honest.

The video is below. It is a must watch. Take a good look - this is the sort of leadership our military has needed for many, many years.

Bets on whether or not the Democratic Party will come to be the party of national security?

--

This post originally appeared on The Political Panorama.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm glad you posted on this. I listened to his speech and was also impressed.
    As for those who are disappointed, give me a break! This is a complex situation that requires careful handling if we are to a)withdraw troops and b)not throw the Iraqis under the bus.
    Ideally, Obama wanted to pull everyone out in 16 months, realistically, after consultation and consideration of the situation, he found he had to revise his plans a little.
    How many times have each one of us had to compromise or reset a goal? And I daresay whatever we had planned would have far less impact on the world.
    I like the fact that he is making the hard decisions even in the face of opposition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Changing your mind shouldn't be seen as a bad thing. Obama presumably became more enlightened about the situation in Iraq and then adjusted his position slightly. Too many pols just try to cover up or dance around the issue. But shifting strategies is good - as long as it's done appropriately.

    I find Obama's straightforwardness refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rocky,

    We had 8 years of someone who did not consult, who did not consider, and who, as far as he is concerned, didn't make a mistake and has nothing to feel sorry for....

    I am glad those eight years are over and I like the CHANGE....

    I studied Obama's budget...

    Pretty interesting...he has big plans...and he is preparing for them.

    Not sure the country is ready for this guy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tao - Obama does have big plans and I hope he can get enough working to win over a few hearts and minds.
    I'm willing to give him a chance but I'm watching DC and checking out the bills and proposals and when I have concerns my electronic pen flies with emails to my representatives and the White House.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in awe of Obama. He's actually doing what he said he would do because he apparently believed his ideas and speeches as much as we did.

    When he said that his budget would be transparent and therefore he would put the budgets of the wars into it, I just couldn't help but smile and hope that the office doesn't change him, but that we change.

    From compassionate conservative to progressive change. What a joy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. TAO - I think the country is ready for Obama. Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part. Certainly it will take time for us to become accustomed to someone with big ideas and a no-nonsense approach to governing, but I'm hopeful we will come to expect nothing less from our public servants.

    Laura - What a joy is right. It's been a long time since we've had this sort of leadership - certainly longer than I've been alive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep holding him accountable rocky!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I plan on holding accountable every one of them that I voted into office. They all made a lot of promises and I expect them to deliver or tell me why they can't!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm still not an Obama fan (for all the domestic crap), but...

    So far, he's set a good tone dealing with these two foreign issues (Afghanistan, Iraq) that have been major bones of contention. And for all the early (stupid) rhetoric he flung out there, he seems to be paying attention now. Whether he was just playing to his base or matured after the first security briefing, I'm more confident in him than I was before on this.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome civil discourse from all people but express no obligation to allow contributors and readers to be trolled. Any comment that sinks to the level of bigotry, defamation, personal insults, off-topic rants, and profanity will be deleted without notice.