Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Dinosaurs don't pay taxes

In a way, we might look at the vast, seemingly endless and profoundly deep ignorance of Americans as a resource. Certainly many people make a good living from it. People who have less than an intelligent 4 year old's grasp of reality are willing to spend money to have their pathetic fantasies upheld in places like Dinosaur Adventure Land where you can view fake animals in a fake surroundings made to resemble fake history and pretend that the most certain things can be less certain than baseless conjecture.

Yes, I'm talking about Florida where for decades fake was like a second name for the state and sleazy roadside attractions and amusement parks made it a Mecca for kitsch enthusiasts and carloads full of rubes and hicks percolating down from Dixie. Much of it is still here, like the Weeki Wachee Mermaids and alligator wrestling and Lion Country Safari but as far as I know nobody is claiming that the mermaids are real or the lions were dropped off in Florida by Noah on his way to Turkey.

The fake history park in Florida flaunts things on their website like the idea that "the more is known about DNA the more difficult it is to escape the conclusion that all things have a personal creator." Of course there's no way around calling this a complete lie and if there is anything ineluctable about what's taught in Dinosaur Adventure Land is that nothing they say has any basis in fact whatever. Evolution as the origin of species and indeed as the origin of life from natural algorithms and natural law is not on its way out, isn't "just a theory" that Science is moving away from in the light of new data. Of course, the age of the Earth and of the universe is very accurately known and sorry, our planet is more than 4 billion years old and no man ever saw a trilobite or a Gorgonopsid or a Sauropod.

It's more than possible to escape the conclusion that existence of living organisms demands the existence of a deity and all their miracles and all the attempts to demonstrate otherwise have been shown to be fallacious and fraudulent. Yet, the Creationists persist in marketing their perverted epistemology demanding that unwillingness or inability to understand opens a window into understanding -- as though ignorance and stupidity were virtues. Wisdom through ignorance certainly winds through Christianity's bowels like a tapeworm but particularly through the kind of cartoonish fundamentalism sold like tawdry talismans at a flea market to tourists in T shirts.

It must be apparent that I view this kind of militant superstition as a cancer threatening any progress in learning and perhaps the safety of civilization itself and so you won't be surprised that I have to smile a bit to hear that an amusement park built on lies and the mockery of truth is in big trouble with the IRS for not paying employee withholding taxes and is due to be seized. Hardly surprising is it, that people who make a living telling lies and attacking the truth are dishonest?

Hardly surprising either that Kent Hovind, who founded the park and a ministry, Creation Science Evangelism, simply to profit by lying, would forget that Jesus told his followers to pay their taxes: “Ἀπόδοτε οὖν τὰ Καίσαρος Καίσαρι καὶ τὰ τοῦ Θεοῦ τῷ Θεῷ” or "Render unto Caesar. . ." Matthew 22:21

Hovind's position was that since he and his brothers in dishonesty worked for God, they didn't owe any taxes to the Government at all. I don't know what Jesus' position on obstruction of justice or last minute, back-dated, illegal transfers of property to avoid seizure was, but of course anything Jesus is supposed to have said is "just a theory" right? The argument was persuasive enough to get him 10 years in the slammer. For once Jesus and the Law -- and I -- seem to agree.

7 comments:

  1. I won't argue my faith with you because I believe because I do. Not because some guy that knows lots of bible versus pointed at me or my mother said I would go to hell. As logical as your argument against religion is,and as illogical as mine is, it is what it is.


    All that being said, I have no problem with God. It's the assholes that claim to His messengers, or whatever TF they are, I mistrust and have no use for. It's always good to hear when one of these jokers gets busted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't remember the name of the magazine in the reception lobby of Bert Fish Hospital in New Smyrna Beach (where I was awaiting a diagnostic procedure), but it was a magazine devoted to creationism.

    Thumbing through the pages, I noticed bylined articles bearing the names of "reverend" this or that with milk cartoon PhDs from unrecognizable institutions. Some of those revered authors bore multiple titles such as PhD and DD giving rise to the thought that there must also be DTs and DDTs in alphabet annals of lower education.

    Of course, I did what any self-respecting cephalopod would do. I dropped the magazine in the nearest rubbish bin on the way out.

    Postscript: Later that day, I got back the results of my IQ test. Negative!

    I was so relieved ... thanks to that magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been a bit remiss about posting or even commenting - business has been brisk and while I'd rather spend more time here, alas I must pay the bills, feed the animals...
    But I've been trying to keep up with the postings. The Capt brings to light the continued disturbing trend of the religious right and their desire to force all of us into slavery to their beliefs all the while they are breaking with the precepts set by their own savior.
    I don't have a problem with those who subscribe to any particular religion; whatever gets you through the night. Like Truth I have my own set of beliefs that help me center my world.
    I also don't have a problem with people like our own Fogg who reject the notion of a divine being and operate under their own set of beliefs about what makes the world go 'round.
    What really burns my ass are those who think they have the right/duty whatever to invade my space and attempt to inject their unwanted religious rantings into my world.
    The founding fathers of this country were not all mainstream Christians and they were adamant that ALL people be allowed their freedom to believe or not as they see fit.
    I am a happy deist, committed to my own spiritual growth and understanding - want to know what I believe and why, I'll be glad to share. Rather not know, I'll be happy to keep it to myself.
    Many times I think all this religiosity is merely a smokescreen meant to allow these lazy rabid ranters to give the appearance of piety without ever doing anything of humane value for their fellow human beings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rocky - very eloquently put. Couldn't have said it better myself.

    My dear Octopus - glad your IQ test was negative. I hope to be swimming the watery deep in ignorant bliss with you for decades to come as our more human counterparts grapple with less-blissful earthbound ignorance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. T101,

    I'm not arguing faith at all - it's not productive and I share your distaste for self-appointed messengers. If there is a difference in our views it might be that I can't tell the difference between who or what's supposed to be divine and what isn't. I met Billy Graham once and he scared hell out of me and seemed to be as divine as an allosaurus. Mystery is another word for incomplete knowledge to me and not a reason to accept without question.

    Most everyone says they came to their religion by themselves, but of course religions evolve and nearly everyone comes to the religion of their family. Very few people decide that Zeus is God any more and it took an enormous amount of time for humans to find Vishnu, but that's an argument and I'm not here to argue this. Everyone has things they just believe and I can't exclude myself.

    Religion is shaped by what we bring to it and I'm tempted to say what we bring to it is virtually all there is to it, but in any event it's no better than what you are and what you use it for. For my part I believe passionately in freedom of thought and speech, but the freedom to lie and slander and misrepresent for personal gain threatens that freedom.

    When Fundamentalism and Biblical literalism adopts the trappings of science and logic to dress up things that are false and self-serving it becomes as dangerous as a communicable form of insanity would be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know why or when I began to believe. I just do. In God. I have no use for all the bullsh$t.

    The last time I came close to a physical altercation was with a pair of I don't who are they were. My oldest daughter who was maybe 3 years old at the time answered a knock on the door. She got me and said two men wanted to talk about Jesus with us. I come upstairs and they were in my living room. I told them I wasn't interested in what they had to say because I was fine with my faith. One of them stood up. Got in my face in front of my daughter and asked why I didn't want her to learn about Jesus. I asked him profanely if he wanted to learn about dental work. My daughter learned about swear words and what a prick her daddy was when an idiot made a rude comment in his house.

    I don't think God would send someone to my house to pick a fight. These two clowns had to have come up with that on their own. Or at the insistence of another clown.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I asked him profanely if he wanted to learn about dental work"

    Excellent reply! Anybody who uses a 3 year old to gain entrance to someone's house has to be treated as suspect. I would have been less polite, I think.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome civil discourse from all people but express no obligation to allow contributors and readers to be trolled. Any comment that sinks to the level of bigotry, defamation, personal insults, off-topic rants, and profanity will be deleted without notice.