Saturday, October 24, 2009

Look, up in the sky. . . it's a bird, it's. . . .

I'm constantly accused of making gratuitous and unfair fun of religion. Whether or not that's fair to say, I couldn't begin to approach the creativity of some pious people who having no sense of humor, much less the knowledge or ability to see their creations in the context of history, in giving us their truly American and truly hilarious concept of the holy.

I'm indebted to Libby at The Impolitic and Gymo at The Spork for pointing out the work of Merritt Ministries of Tracy, California who found a unique, reverent and authentic way to represent the love and compassion of Jesus as he descends from the clouds on his apocalyptic mission, (which includes the horrific immolation of Jews and other infidels) with "compassion and love."

And what better way to do it than to flip the bird at the Second Commandment by making a likeness of the heavenly Jewish offspring, with Northern European features and straight, chestnut brown hair, wearing purple and gold robes like a the Roman Emperor under whose auspices Jesus was tortured to death? And what better likeness than a huge hot air balloon to provide that reverent touch? After all, if you're going to create God in your own image, isn't hot air the perfect filler for this flying apocalyptic cream-puff?

Just as the secular right finds all they need to know of the Constitution in the Second Amendment, all a large segment of the Religious Right requires to serve the needs of 'authenticity and reverence' is the Book of Revelation, written far away and in another country and selected for the cannon almost a quarter of a millennium later by the high priest of Sol Invictus.

I'd love to see this catch on though. I'd love to see the sky filled with lighter-than-air deities of all sorts, from YHWH blimps to Buddha balloons; soaring Shivas and zooming Zoroasters and gas-bag Ganeshas. Launch them all and let the real God sort them out!

11 comments:

  1. That's some kick-ass Jesus balloon, Capt. (The Noah's Ark is not bad either.)

    Too bad the balloon boy did not pretend to climb into this one -- imagine how much fun would it be to follow it for 4 hours on CNN!

    (A silly question, perhaps, but I wonder if they would puncture it after it landed -- you know, to save the boy 'n all? Puncturing a Jesus balloon would be sacrilegious, no?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you like to ride in my JCful balloon
    Would you like to glide in my JCiful balloon
    We could float among the myths together you and I
    For we can fly, we can fly
    Up, up and away in my beautiful
    mythological balloooooooooooon.

    That's the best I can do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sacreligious yes, because it's sacred and holy.

    Good poem, but it's hard to make the thing any funnier -- in my opinion anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to see an FSM balloon, with lots of noodly appendages.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anon: "I would like to see an FSM balloon, with lots of noodly appendages."

    Will a helium-filled (O)CT(O)PUS do?

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG!!! Another Balloon Boy story!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Will a helium-filled (O)CT(O)PUS do?"

    Yes, that will do nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want an actual flying spaghetti monster.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Matt, I have an idea for you (I did this for my grandchildren earlier this year).

    Start with some hot dogs. Take dry spaghetti from the package and insert the strands into the hot dogs. You can make spaghetti monsters, centipedes, or any creation. Then drop the spaghetti-spiked hot dogs into boiling water until the noodles are soft.

    Voila! Edible spaghetti monsters.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do this in memory of me. Take my noodly appendages and the tubesteak they are adorning, add a little moutard and some onions, maybe a soupcon of chili and--oh, yeah, definitely--some brewskis!

    ReplyDelete

We welcome civil discourse from all people but express no obligation to allow contributors and readers to be trolled. Any comment that sinks to the level of bigotry, defamation, personal insults, off-topic rants, and profanity will be deleted without notice.