Sunday, November 1, 2009

Going Rouge


Oddly enough, before the Newsweek staff announced this project my dear friend Marc Mitchell had already written two chapters of his own parody, titled Going Rouge: an American Life.

Chapter 1.

To begin my life with the beginning of my life, I record that I was born. I can prove it. Birth certificates, particularly long-form birth certificates, are a handy thing to have, and I have one. It says plainly, that I was most definitely born in Sandpoint, Idaho, to Sarah (my mother) and Charles (my father) Heath (their last name, which I proudly took). All of my relatives are American. We were all born in the US, so I am an American, and this is my American life.

You know, people who aren’t born American are unfortunate souls. In my travels, and when looking out of my kitchen window at the land beyond, I can see into the eyes of the foreign people, and there’s nothing in those eyes but sadness and yearning. When I speak to people in other countries, they hang on my every word, waiting for me to tell them how wonderful they are, perhaps, or that everything is okay even though they’re not from Alaska. Or Idaho. Or any of the states comprising real America.

I recently went to Taiwan, I think, and was struck by the despair of the Chinese people who want desperately to be American, but can’t be because their government is Chinese. I said to the people, “It’s okay. Not all of us can be as lucky as me. America needs you to make our stuff. You serve a purpose.” A timid young man in the third row raised his hand and spoke in the native tongue--the Chinese have a beautiful language! It’s so full of vowels!--which the interpreter interpreted for me: “But lovely Sarah, if we can’t be American, we at least want to have you as our leader.”


Click here to read the rest

10 comments:

  1. that is hysterical, Marc is a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its almost as if I am Sean Hannity and she is sitting across from me freely sharing her life history....

    Then of course the 'warm and fuzzy' wears off and I realize that this woman could have been the Vice President, second in command to the leader of the free world and the only thing that stood between her being only a heartbeat away from leading the free world was a black man....

    Of course it also took the total meltdown of our financial system to get the black man to the front of that line....

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a charming satire. As beguiling as Margaret and Helen (see side panel), but so much younger and hip, especially the bottom round part eyed by Todd fidgeting with his rounds. Who could resist such temptation? Certainly not Randy Scheunemann, usurper of the King's bed and arch muzzle-nuzzler in his own right.

    I'm convinced! I'll look for it at Barnes and Ignoble.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it's very funny, but we must remember that the real Mrs. Palin can't write nearly that well or move so smoothly from the beginning to the end of a sentence -- and of course, she's hardly the only American who feels that way about the poor benighted foreigners with their public health care and advanced transportation systems.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, so I was going to make a point about spelling here but, fortunately, I clicked over and read the rest of the post.
    Very clever piece of satire, perhaps it should also become a book - there could be a positions war on the best seller list between "Going Rogue" and "Going Rouge"!
    Rush and Glenn would explode!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This woman scares me. Democrats may think Sarah Palin has no chance what-so-ever of even winning the Republican nomination, yet alone the presidency... but, Republicans have a history of installing idiots to run the country. Ronald Reagan? George W. Bush?

    Disenfranchise some black "felons", make people give up and leave without voting by not providing large districts with enough voting machines, discourage poor people from voting with a poll tax, convince a software programmer writing code for voting machines that he'll "save the unborn" by rigging the vote -- and Sarah Palin could be "elected" president in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so happy to report that Sarah's latest champion, Doug Hoffman, went down in the NY congressional race yesterday. Since it was the only congressional race in the country (I live in the district) we were given lavish amounts of coverage and there was a gazillion bucks spent on media ads and direct mail. Now that the election is over, we can return to our former position as "Snow capital" of upstate NY.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Democommie, as a sort of peace offering, maybe it would be proper and fitting to invite Sarah Palin to the District and have her make angels in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good idea - and then I can shoot them from a helicopter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Capt. Fogg:

    Sarah's been here, in Auburn, home of Harriet Tubman, to rant for her "peeps" a few months back. The fact that her handjobbed candidate was defeated in a conservative district speaks volumes. Oswego County (where I live) went for Hoffman by 2%--nowhere near the usual margin in such elections.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome civil discourse from all people but express no obligation to allow contributors and readers to be trolled. Any comment that sinks to the level of bigotry, defamation, personal insults, off-topic rants, and profanity will be deleted without notice.