Wednesday, May 5, 2010

FOUR DEAD IN O- HIO

I wanted to get this posted yesterday. Unfortunately, I had to contend with another episode of a slipped lumbar disc which causes much pain and requires chemical intervention that leaves me a bit fuzzy – not a good time to post to a public forum. So, here I am, a day late, but better late than never.

May 4, 2010 marked the 40th anniversary of this tragic event that would change the course of history of this nation and of my generation. While most of us continued to support peaceful protest and organized civil disobedience, the violence perpetrated against unarmed college students by fellow Americans would spawn a more violent subculture that would include the formation of Black Panthers and Weather Underground.

For anyone too young to remember this event, there was a protest organized at Kent State University; not unlike similar protests taking place at college campuses across the country. The protest was in response to then President Nixon’s announcement of the invasion of Cambodia, thus escalating the war in Asia. In the days leading up to the May 4th protest, there had been an incident in town which involved breaking of windows and starting a fire. It was determined that only a few participants were Kent students; mostly the crowd had been townies and bikers. On May 4th the students gathered on school grounds in a central location. The governor declared a state of emergency and called out the National Guard. Soon, four college students would lay dead, all unarmed, all shot with deadly precision. Not just an attempt to simply stop them; they were all kill shots.

Watching the news that day as the black and white images were repeatedly broadcast, there was a sense of horror and disbelief – “They’re killing us for speaking out!” It was the point where a generation collectively concluded that “our” government wasn’t ours at all. They became the enemy.


I find it interesting that those today who would call Bill Ayers a terrorist are some of the same people encouraging police and military to refuse any order to shoot at other Americans and have vowed to take up arms if such a thing were to occur. I wonder how they cannot see the ironic contradiction of their own words. I imagine they would spin the scene in Ohio in 1970 as different because those kids were loud, angry hippies as opposed to loud, angry, “moral, Christian, patriots”.

As Americans, we have the right to peacefully assemble and protest. As human beings, we have a duty to peacefully assemble and protest unfair laws and practices which would probably be referred to as civil disobedience. (Think Martin Luther King and the civil rights struggle).

What Americans do NOT have a right to do is murder or incarcerate or oppress any person or group that does not agree with them. Change comes slowly, sometimes painfully, but usually, in hindsight, the changes are good. To those who believe they have a right to violent actions to enforce their beliefs – you are wrong. You are as wrong now as those fringe groups from the 70s were wrong then.


And this is why:
THE DEAD

Jeffrey Glenn Miller; shot through the mouth - killed instantly
Allison B. Krause; fatal left chest wound - died later that day
William Knox Schroeder; fatal chest wound - died almost an hour later in hospital while waiting for surgery
Sandra Lee Scheuer; fatal neck wound - died a few minutes later from loss of blood

Tin soldiers and Nixon coming,
We're finally on our own.
This summer I hear the drumming,
Four dead in Ohio.

(lyrics by Neil Young)
Soldiers aren't the only people who have paid the ultimate price for freedom.

12 comments:

  1. Rocky; I remember this day well and still get angry at our governemnt. I think Allison Krause was just innocently walking through the campus and had nothing to do with the demonstrations.

    A comment I left on another blog:

    The day after this happened Jessie Jackson had already been scheduled to speak at the U of Houston. The school was concerned that he would come in with his fiery rhetoric and start a riot. Instead, he delivered a very crowd calming talk - probably the most sensible I've heard him give.

    I've always felt Kent State, besides being a criminal act, was the end of the protest movement. The cold reality was that our government had guns and wouldn't hesitate to use them on innocent citizens.

    I'd like to add here that all 23,000 students and faculty went round very sad and subdued. When I think about that time I want to cry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was MURDER! !


    Neil Young saw the Kent State headlines in the newspaper.
    He sat down and wrote that song in 30 minutes.
    Nam changed my whole generation.
    Now the Masters of War are doing it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. RockyNC, I remember that day all too painfully well, and still resent the way the establishment treated my generation (the only voice of conscience in the country at that time). There were hard hats chanting, "America, love it or leave it." When I returned home from college break, my father started bad-mouthing the students, calling Allison Krause and Sandra Scheuer prostitutes, among other epithets. Immediately, I left home and never returned.

    Later that summer, I was filling up my motorscooter at a gas station when an officer approached my bike, parked at the pump and perched on its kick stand, who claimed it was out of inspection. When I showed him the inspection sticker (a new one less than two weeks old), he said: "You accusing me of lying, boy!"

    I spent that evening at the police station while 3 thugs of the law menaced me with blackjacks. I demanded and got the chance to make a phone call and spoke to a friend whose father was the local judge.

    WIthin minutes I was released with no apologies. Yes, I still remember that era with anger and bitterness ... to this day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think for all of us who are old enough to remember this event, it had a profound effect on our lives.
    It was not all, "sex, drugs and rock n' roll" it was also about social consciousness, abuse/ mistreatment and death.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you remember all of it, you did not live it. :-)

    I think our generation changed the whole world. A lot of what we have, and had, would not have been possible with out the 60's.

    I know that I tried with the best of what i had at the time. Maybe we did not try hard enough. Perhaps it was too overwhelming. Maybe it was just not meant to be.
    A new era, and a new generation will now have to take the lead.

    In the last decade I keep asking myself.

    WHAT THE EFF HAPPENED?
    And then I wake up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have long thought that incident was a very low point in our history -- young people opposing what they considered injustice cut down by the brutal, overwhelming force of their own government. It undercuts the very notion of representative government, in which the people are in charge of their own affairs and not merely the subjects of those placed above and beyond them.

    Such incidents also suggest that there's some truth to Foucault's warning that rebels tend to reinforce the very structures they set out to shake: threaten hegemonic authorities, and they call out the guns and dogs because, after all, we can't have the majority being disturbed by "troublemakers." The public's fear of anarchy moves them in the direction of supporting repression, or at least not actively opposing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. bloggingdino - there's some truth to Foucault's warning that rebels tend to reinforce the very structures they set out to shake

    This also reminds me of what Ernesto "Che" Guevara said once: "All revolutions degenerate in government."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Rocky, for the remembrance. Yet another sad chapter in American history.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rocky; "It was not all, "sex, drugs and rock n' roll" it was also about social consciousness, abuse/ mistreatment and death."

    It always upset me when people accused us of being negative. On the contrary. We wanted to make things better - end the Nam war, protect the environment, improve living conditions and get the vote for black people - some were killed in that cause - help the poor in Appalachia and other parts of the country.

    I didn't mind the other either.

    After the political and social activity of the 60s we had the "me" generation and then the "I don't give a damn" period - just want to get out of college and get make big bucks - which lasted even longer.

    It's distressed me that during all this time our youth just wasn't interested in our government or way of life or the welfare of others. I doubt that we'll ever see another 60s again but I do see more interest these days amongst young people.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 'Yes. We changed the world forever in the 1960's.'

    Ah yes.

    From the invention of sexual intercourse at Berkeley during the summer of 1966 to the Mamas & Papas that generations contributions can never be...forgotten.

    I'm of several minds about just what the 60's actually meant and frankly I find generational generalizations unhelpful.

    But if you're in the mood for an hour and a half of enthusiastic self-congratulations I recommend this:

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099121/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where did the idea get started that being involved in that short lived cultural revolution means you have memory lapses? That's what alcohol does, not what weed and acid do. The late 60's was the end of alcohol use for me anyway. 1966 to be precise and with the help of the Sandoz pharmaceutical company.

    Damn right I remember and I was more a part of it than I'm going to confess to, even now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. For me, I remember that my inner world went silent that day. I'd been involved with Vietnam Vets Against The War, a group that sometimes drew angry counter-protests and boasted a celebrity advocate who did more harm than help to the cause. When the shock eased, I found that I had turned a corner into sober and cynical adulthood, all idealism shot to hell.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome civil discourse from all people but express no obligation to allow contributors and readers to be trolled. Any comment that sinks to the level of bigotry, defamation, personal insults, off-topic rants, and profanity will be deleted without notice.