Saturday, May 8, 2010

Poisoning Pigeons In The Park

By Nance

Monday scares me.  I'm one of the little people who doesn't understand the Stock Market, who has no business involved with it, but who finds her financial future, and thus the quality of her old age, bound up with and terrorized by that fickle, convoluted, unnatural, hair-trigger, Frankenstein creation of our infatuation with the promise that money makes money.

Monday might be a second chance to make a wise move with what I now pitifully still refer to as my portfolio; I was too paralyzed by fear in the summer of 2008 to know whether to hold 'em or fold 'em.  The pressure is on to be a little smarter this time around, following the past week's sharp declines and Thursday's petrifying plunge...except that being smarter seems even less possible, even more past hope now.  The only economic constants I've detected in recent years are that some folks will make money in wild market fluctuations and that I will probably be among their dupes.  I don't feel one bit smarter or better able to decide whether to stay in or get out.

I've assumed that somebody knows what happened last Thursday and what is likely to happen on Wall Street next week, but reading up on it today has just made an ass out of u and me.  Theories abound:  it's Greece and the bail-out implications for the EU; it was sabotage by _______ (fill in the blank with your favorite conspirator, party, lobby, or disgruntled fan of Blankfein); it was the bad news about unemployment rates hidden under the good news about job creation; or, most detached and cruel of all, a fat finger.  In the online money journals and news sources, I've encountered psychotic word salads that only leave me more confounded.  Take this example from The LATimes:
"We were in the midst of a pullback, we needed one, we got one," said Peter Cardillo, chief market economist at New York-based brokerage house Avalon Partners Inc. Cardillo said the choppy trading after such a drastic decline likely signals the market trying to find a bottom.

Stocks have been on a nearly uninterrupted upward path since March of last year, when indexes hit 12-year lows. Analysts have been predicting a correction for months, only to see the market bounce back after brief periods of decline.

Long-term market watchers actually welcome occasional pullbacks in stocks, saying that gives investors opportunities to pick up shares at bargain prices.

"We had the earthquake, we're now in the midst of getting the aftershocks," said Steven Goldman, chief market strategist for Weeden & Co. in Greenwich, Conn. "When the market's so close to new highs, it's difficult to have rallies. But when you're down 10 or 12 percent from recent highs, we can deal with uncertainty better."

Did Cardillo and Goldman say here that they welcomed this week's dizzying descent because it lets those in the know feel in control? I am too far down the Rabbit Hole, now; I'm having the same kind of vertigo I get when I try to read a prospectus. I'd just begun to think that the prognosticators who pointed to the DOW line graph as proof that the bad times were behind us might be right. That'll learn me. Again.

In a conversation I had sometime in July or August of '08 with an acquaintance who professed financial smarts, I declared that I was so disheartened by the market's unrelenting drop, I didn't think I could bear to stay invested.  His response was, "Well, what do you think you're going to do with it, put it in a jar under the bed?"  That was ridicule, in case you missed it.  Another wag told me, "Oh, yes, cash is king now!"  And, still another, "This is the time to put every penny you can put your hands on into stocks!"  And, "It's all gambling. You should never invest what you can't afford to lose."

Here's a sure bet: there will be abundant and worthless advice available on Monday. My worthless advice: stock up on Mason Jars.  The smart money will be on the insiders at the expense of an entire class made up of vulnerable retirees and retiree hopefuls like you and me who were only hoping for peanuts on the dollar. They toy with us and our measly, hard-earned savings.  It'll be as easy for them to take what's left of our nest eggs as...um, trying to avoid cliches, as easy as...I draw a blank.  Jeez, why does this Tom Lehrer song come to mind?

14 comments:

  1. I share your confusion. Stocks, investments, markets are just not my cup of tea. I think it's a combination of ineptitude and laziness on my part. I also think that the insiders count on our inattention to allow them to engage in nefarious practices while reassuring us that all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They aren't most people's cup and that's why we all, I think, dodged a bullet when George failed in his mission to have us put our Social Security accounts into the Stock market. Can you imagine the results!

    The market has no conscience and neither do the people who dominate it and I have no trouble believing that this incident was engineered to allow certain people to cover their shorts and then buy back in at last years prices. We may never know the culprits for sure but somebody made an astronomical amount of money last week.

    I think it was J P Morgan who told us in the late 20's that he knew it was time to get out of the market when he saw the shoeshine guy and the elevator operator reading the stock prices - if so he was right. When the little guy gets in, the big guy gets out with their money in his pocket.

    I knew the housing bubble was about to burst when TV shows like "Flip This House" began to proliferate. Of course I endured years ofbeing trashed as a Liberal America Hater and Marxist Fascist psychotic by the you know who's for my predictions.

    Of course it isn't all a plot to fleece the little guy. In my opinion these things always happen after massive upper bracket tax cuts. No, all that money in the plutocrats' pockets does not get invested in creating new jobs as the FlimFlamicans insist. It gets invested in the Market, driving the averages higher and higher. It flows into leveraged real estate, put into unregulated hedge funds, offshore accounts and exotic derivatives earning huge returns -- until it blows up just as it did in 1929 after the Republican tax cuts and now again after the latest Republican tax cuts. I know of what I speak - I was part of it.

    No, government revenues do not increase when Bill Gates gets a tax cut. It's been proven over and over, but their response is to rewrite history and to keep repeating the Gospel of Reagan and the Book of Deregulation and dammit - it works. They'll move the shells around and we'll hand them our money again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know enough about this stuff to even leave a comment. It's all Greek to me. . .

    But I did enjoy the video. I loved Lehrer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These days, the only ones who can afford to put down a deposit on a new BMW are a flock of birds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made some money in the market thirty years ago. Today I won't touch it. Investors today come in two classes: super-rich and lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true about the pigeons, Octo. One formula for doing well is not to trust stocks farther than you can toss a boulder -- some would say real estate is a better ticket to success: properties carefully selected and patiently improved. Not that crazy super-leveraged stuff but genuine concern for location and building quality, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Magic 8 Ball sez stock market will take a big jump up today, but volatility will continue in coming weeks.

    Makes me very nervous and I'm not sure what to do. Pull my money out and put it where? Real estate? Yeah, the real estate makret is FUBAR'd, still. Might be a few bargains to pick up right now, but real estate won't appreciate in value for years to come because we still have such a huge inventory issue.

    Gold? Gold is always a good bet but you know, you're supposed to buy LOW, sell high. Gold is too high to buy right now.

    So what else ... maybe a lovely Picasso? A Monet? Hell at least it will be pretty to look at for a while.

    I mean dang, I have no clue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Might I suggest the Fogg Fund. Large returns (on paper) as long as you don't want your money back.

    Birds prefer to dump on boats rather than BMW's. Trust me on that. Of course I dump on BMW's too - the 80's are over folks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I dump on those who claim to be financial advisors.

    I liked that shot of Wall Street's Bull because he's been standing right there dumping on the little people ever since the Street erected him (I assume they had a say; if not, a collective "we" erected him, stand under his backside, and await the next pronouncement of our false god.)

    The DOW's apparent bounce today doesn't make me feel one little bit safer! I've learned what volatility like this can mean.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm blessed not to have these problems.

    But if I did, I'd definitely follow Dino's advice and invest in real estate, specifically in my favorite (and only affordable) kind: castles.

    White Castles, that is. (Sand castles come close second.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. But the Fogg Fund is paying 25% (if you can find me) and it's tax free since you won't be able to catch me.

    Anyway, my mother was a firm believer in mattresses and pillow cases and if I had listened to her I would have a great more money right now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Vampire-squid. One of Octo's less-adorable cousins...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shhh, that is a taboo subject in my family. Favoritism, Grandpa and Grandma Cephalopod loved them more ...

    ReplyDelete

We welcome civil discourse from all people but express no obligation to allow contributors and readers to be trolled. Any comment that sinks to the level of bigotry, defamation, personal insults, off-topic rants, and profanity will be deleted without notice.