Sunday, November 23, 2008

The Spongey Brains of Squids

I have been a remiss member of the SwashZone community of late. Many excuses of course – too busy, blah, blah – the ready excuse of our modern age.

But that’s not it. For days (weeks?) now I have been watching SZone emails (comments & posts) filling up my in-box. All unread, I confess. I never even followed up on the last conversation I was involved in – I believe it was you, Dino, I was talking to? Maybe?

So why my rudeness? Please don’t take offense anyone. None is ever intended. But I have come to the conclusion that SQUID’s have sponges for brains. Yes – sponges. You know – my fellow sea creature of the deep? And sponges can only retain just so much until they are saturated & can hold no more. And my spongy-squid brain is saturated.

At first I thought this brain condition was a simple matter of election overload & subsequent burnout. I thought, I am just too whimpy a Squid to talk politics with SwashZoners right now. I am just too intellectually feeble to process any more angst over this or that. Too cowering of a deep sea creature to be able to handle dissent & conflict. In short – I thought – I am simply no longer up to the task of being a good zoner.

Yes . . . but why? Why haven’t I been able to squeeze some of the excess out of my spongy brain in order to make room for more info & discussion? I thought a week or so away from the blogosphere in general would help. And divorcing myself from the politically swashing zone.

But it didn’t work. Yesterday it occurred to me perhaps why. The pieces of the puzzle of Squid’s continued state of saturation began to fall into place.

I was driving around doing errands & I saw a sign posted about an auction of a home today. A home in which somebody once lived. A somebody now perhaps homeless altogether. Jus the week before there were signs posted all along the highway claiming “no credit check, loan guaranteed, 100%, new homes.” Bailout lessons blatantly NOT learned. More homes blatantly to be sold into later foreclosure.

Then there are the weekly meetings at work about hiring freezes, budget cuts, increased workloads, etc. Doom & gloom talk all over campus as programs are cut . . .

And every morning, on the way to my doom & gloom place of employment, my walk from my parking garage takes me past a congregating area for my city’s homeless. Everyday – I walk past these people – women & men. Quietly sitting, talking, living.

And more reality checks - last weekend I was sick with strep throat. My throat ached. I needed soup. Something soothing. I opened my cupboard to find nothing. Not a canned good to be found. Not a one. My child had cleaned out my cabinets the week before in support of said child's school’s food drive for a local charity – the SECOND food drive the school district has hosted in a month. As I ate a scratching, unsoothing granola bar instead of soup – my painful swallowing reminded me that there were those worse off than me. At least I had the soup to give.

And - the weekend before my child had strep throat. My child is allergic to penicillin so has to take a special anti-biotic. After paying my meager co-pay I happened to glance at the pharmacy printout & noticed what the BEFORE insurance cost of my child's meds was – it was staggering! I thought – how in the world would a parent without health insurance pay such an outlandish sum? And there are so many parents without health insurance.

So – I’ve come to realize that the saturatedness of my spongy squid brain is due to so much more than depressing headlines & blog posts/comments. It is due to the reality behind the headlines etc. staring me in the face everyday.

Today that home nearby goes up for auction. I can not help but wonder if the family in it will be needing those cans from my cupboard. I know that sounds a bit melodramatic – but – sadly – it just might be the stuff of hard core truth as well.

I am a lucky Squid, all things considered. Though my spongey brain continues to leak with a mixture of genuine compassion & selfish anxiety.

8 comments:

  1. Welcome back - I was afraid it was my fisherman costume that scared you away.

    Spongy brains, shriveled brains, addled brains: the country as a whole is anxious and for good reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SQUID - I think we all have some anxiety over the current state of affairs. Watching neighbors going into foreclosure and being homeless and hungry drives home that this could be our reality if just one thing screws up.

    My husband and I have been blessed with a slight increase in business which will go toward helping our sons, the local food bank and perhaps contributing to the Christmas of a child in the community.


    I too am tired of rehashing the political trash of the last year or so. I'm ready to roll up my sleeves and get to work doing my bit to restore my country. I think the worst part is this period between the election and Jan 20 where we sit in limbo that is most frustrating.

    We can only do what we can, prepare for the worst and HOPE and pray (if you're the praying kind) for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Squid,

    Sorry to hear that you’ve been ill. I agree with Rocky that a lot of us seem to be in an odd state at the moment. The times may not be unprecedented, but they are bad. It would be easier to see all this as part of the usual bizzwax cycles if we didn’t have entire sectors of the economy going to Congress and pleading that they are on the edge of utter ruin. In a normal recession, you have some business failures and some cutbacks and drawings-down; you don’t have entire sectors facing meltdown. And it’s global, not just here in Glorious Nation of US & A.

    I’m in academia, too, as you know. I see the impact on the state school system: fewer students being admitted, and when they get to school, higher-level courses aren’t available because they aren’t protected in the budget. You can take freshman comp, but if you don’t want to take that, you can take freshman comp, or advanced comp. An extra section of Shakespeare? Forget it! There's no money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A woman called me at work the otehr day to complain that her copay had gone up from $15 to $25. When I told her how much the medicine actually cost -- over three hundred dollars -- she said "Oh!" and got off the phone in a hurry. That wouldn't have happened six months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing spongy about our fellow cephalopod. Its those damn Reprehensibles and their cronies who have been doing the sponging. Survive we must (and payback time will come). Keep the faith.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all for the comments of support - though the people of our world need them more than me.

    rocky - giving back your good fortune is wonderful - a terrific spirit. Really.

    Dino - yeah - you are preaching to the choir.

    Matt - I agree that we lucky folks with copays lose touch with reality. We have come to think of copays as our due rather than as a privilege? Maybe?

    Fogg & Octo - well - you two know my spongy brain from way back ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Squid. I know just how you feel. I've been struggling with the same sense of doom and futility and trying to keep counting my blessings.

    Hope you're on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Libby, thanks for the comment - sorry to hear you are also struggling with a sense of doom. You are absolutely right about the need to count one's blessings. It's so easy to lose sight of what we do have when headlines etc keep shouting at us about all that we do not have.

    Keep the faith!

    Squid

    ReplyDelete

We welcome civil discourse from all people but express no obligation to allow contributors and readers to be trolled. Any comment that sinks to the level of bigotry, defamation, personal insults, off-topic rants, and profanity will be deleted without notice.