Friday, December 19, 2008

And So This Is Christmas…


Tonight I once again performed the age old tradition of erecting my Christmas tree. It doesn’t have a particular color scheme or theme; unless you would call ornaments collected through the years a theme.

The Christmas tree has its origins in pagan ritual performed by ancient Germanic tribes. In fact there was, initially, much opposition to Christmas trees until they gained popularity in the late 19th century, becoming readily accepted by the 20th century.

No matter, for those of us who celebrate Christmas, decorating the tree is usually a much anticipated winter event. I can remember waiting anxiously with my brother and sister for our father to arrive home Christmas Eve with our tree (this in keeping with the European tradition; our parents being from the Old Country).

And then we began to unwrap the old glass ornaments from their tissue paper nests, taking care to hang them in just the right place. Each ornament a memory of a Christmas past.

Later, I began my own family and my own ornament collection; some bought, some gifts, some hand made by little hands; each a precious memory. In years past, all the children would help me decorate the tree. And how carefully even the youngest would handle the fragile ornaments, perhaps instinctively understanding the important part they were playing in our family tradition.

I’m late getting my tree up this year. Usually, I have it up right after Thanksgiving and I annoyingly hum carols from that moment until Dec 25. But this year, my heart is heavy with the violence around me and the losses so many have suffered. It seemed obscene to enjoy the holiday preparations. But my husband pushed me to do it; he knows how much I've always enjoyed this season.

So, I turned on some Christmas music and decorated my tree, carefully unwrapping ornaments and hanging them in just the right place while ghosts of Christmases Past whispered in my ear; “If you don’t settle down, Santa Claus is NOT going to come!” “Ok. Mom, we’ll stop!” “Oh, wow! Just what I wanted!” “Wake up! Come on downstairs; Santa Claus came!”

And it dawned on me that I should enjoy every precious moment I have on this earth and use my money, my time and my talents to be a positive force in the universe; not wallow in despair - that would truly be an obscene waste of life!

Christmas Eve, my children will all be here for dinner and my grandchildren will marvel that Santa Claus came to Meemaw’s house early! And another set of memories will be created and cataloged in the family consciousness. And I WILL enjoy every minute of it.

6 comments:

  1. My grandchildren don't celebrate Christmas and the giant box of ornaments, some dating back to the 40's may never be opened again.

    I'm quite happy to trace the tree thing back to ancient Germans, being one myself. It allows me to enjoy it all free from sticky iconography. It's a wonderful childhood memory.

    You're lucky to have offspring around you and there is no better fun than giving presents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fogg - you can always sell the ornaments or donate them somewhere.

    The tree has always been the most important aspect of our holiday celebration, especially since I used to leave it up into Jan!

    But you're right, I am so fortunate to have my children and grandchildren nearby as well as my aging parents. I do cherish these rare times when we are all together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am jealous, Rocky. All we have down here are forests of kelp, no Christmas trees, just Manta Claus. And the only coral music sung here is “That’s a moray.”

    ReplyDelete
  4. 8pus, I'm ROFL. I would so love to visit the place within your head! I wish you wonderful days in the coming year!

    Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Libby - I do love my trees!

    ReplyDelete

We welcome civil discourse from all people but express no obligation to allow contributors and readers to be trolled. Any comment that sinks to the level of bigotry, defamation, personal insults, off-topic rants, and profanity will be deleted without notice.