Monday, December 1, 2008

The Story of Eve


This is Eve Marie Carson, a pretty college senior with an unflagging enthusiasm for her school (University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill) and a passion for life. She grew up in Athens, Ga. a much loved member of her family and her community. She was the student body president at Chapel Hill and by all accounts she was special, loving, giving person. In her own words:

“I love UNC. I love the quad in the spring and the arboretum in the fall. I love the Pit on a sunny day and Graham Memorial Lounge on a rainy one. I love Roy [Williams] all the time. But what makes UNC truly special is not our beautiful campus, our distinguished reputation or even our basketball team. It’s us—the student body—who make UNC what it is.”

Eve Carson was an exceptional young woman who laughed and cried and dreamed of a future; a full and promising life that would be cut short on March 5, 2008 when she was kidnapped, humiliated, tortured, shot dead and then her dead body was unceremoniously dumped in the road like garbage.

To add further insult, the results of her autopsy and other gruesome details are just a google click away. I have never looked at any of it; I refuse to be a voyeur in this charming girl’s death.

Her killers were aged 22 and 17. Once they were arrested, the police were able to tie them to yet another murder of a foreign student at a different college in North Carolina the year before. How do two little boys grow up to become such monsters? I wish I knew. Her death has caused so much pain and grief for so many and her father probably grieves the hardest but this is what he had to say even in the first days of his loss:

“The irony of Eve’s murder is that she, along with these blessed friends and fellow students, are the ones who can solve the most pressing problems of this time. I believe that these kids, along with their peers around the globe, can reach reasoned solutions for mitigating violence and tackling many of the inequities of poverty, prejudice, inadequate health care and under-education. This is no pie-in-the-sky wish! These kids are smart! They’re so capable.”

I didn’t know Eve Carson or any of her family members. The closest tie I have to her is that my youngest son lived in Chapel Hill up until about two weeks before Eve’s murder. But Eve haunts my every waking moment and I’m not really sure why; perhaps her death is that proverbial straw breaking the back of the camel of senseless violence we live with every day here and all over the world.

Eve was shot with a shotgun, but no amount of gun laws would have helped since the gun was an unregistered weapon that had passed through many hands before being used to commit this last horrific act. Her killers had long juvenile records, but not enough was ever done to stem their criminal escalation in an overburdened judicial system that the criminal knows how to circumvent expertly.

I want to stand in the street and just scream at the top of my lungs ENOUGH! I’ve had enough of hatred and violence and death and destruction – of countries and communities and human beings like college students. We can’t continue to shuffle the problem back and forth. We must break the cycle of ghetto culture that has allowed this kind of violence to grow.

We must make tougher laws to deal with habitual juvenile offenders. These kids have no real fear of punishment because by and large, they know that the worst that can happen is that they will be locked up until age 21. Many states have enacted laws to charge juveniles as adults in certain crimes, but this is too little too late. Welfare recipients need to take on more personal responsibility. If they have children, those children should be able to meet minimal standards of conduct. If not, the parents need to be held accountable. We have a work for welfare program that doesn’t go far enough to push people out of the welfare nest. We should be giving a hand up; not a hand out. We need to ensure police depts. have enough staff and enough money for programs and wages to bust up gang activity and crime rings. We need to decriminalize drugs and thereby take all the intrigue and profit out of drug dealing at the same time freeing up jail space and giving police more time to pursue violent offenders.

The protection and nurturing of our children should be our greatest priority – not just our own children, but every child in our communities and in our country. Because that kid who isn’t “one of ours” might just grow up to be a monster. And every kid knows you can't protect yourself from a monster.

I’m sorry we let you down, Eve but I hope your story will serve to galvanize others to act so that what happened to you doesn’t happen to another beautiful young woman.



6 comments:

  1. Fact: In Alabama, you will spend more time in prison for having a joint in your pocket than for your **FOURTH** D.U.I. offense.

    Sometimes the laws themselves are criminal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rocky - I'm not sure what to say. I have had similar "enough" moments of despair about the violence of our world but then another story comes along, & another. With no foreseeable end in sight. It is very hard not to despair. As the mother of a son - I am absolutely appalled at the culture of aggressive, violent behavior that is pointedly marketed to boys through toys, tv, videos, etc. Too many parents turn blind eyes to this. I myself feel overwhelmed by it.

    The quote by this young woman's father? that you cited is absolutely fantastic - so hopeful & forwarding looking at such a despairing time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Matt - our priorities are skewed and we waste our efforts on relatively harmless things.

    I really don't know if the Freakanomics theory that violence diminishes when unwanted children don't occur has any validity, but we have far too many young and insane people who need to be locked up permanently and far too many harmless people who should be released.

    There are countries where such things hardly ever happen and we need to pay more attention to the question of why we can't do some of the things they do even if it offends the fundamentalists.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I probably could have mastered myself and contained my despair until it passed except that over the weekend I was doing my jail gig and one of Eve's killers is currently being housed in our high profile segregation unit. I made it through the weekend only because I spend very little time in the dorms, but I will probably ask to be reassigned if he is still there the next time I go.
    As I looked at him through the door, I wished with all my heart that I had magic powers because I would cause his head to turn slowly and painfully around and around until it fell off.
    But, I don't have those powers and even if I did, it doesn't save Eve or anyone else.
    SQUID - I'm not sure toys and such are really that big a deal. I had four boys who played with toy guns and army men, etc and they all grew up to be fine men; upstanding, hardworking citizens. We, their parents, watched over them, helped them, loved them and made them toe the line and be accountable for their actions. The real crime is when these babies are popped out for a welfare check or laziness to go get birth control or too high to close their legs. Then we get brain damaged, neglected, abused sociopaths that grow from juvenile offenders to murderers.
    The cycle is vicious and pervasive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rockync, I didn't realize at first how close you were to this story, meaning how close in proximity to you was the monster who did this. I can well appreciate your total rage.

    I agree with all comments about the decriminalization of "soft" drugs. This too has destroyed lives ... complements of the theo-cons who have damaged our political process.

    Given our election victory last month, the civil war has been called off ... at least for now. Had McCain/Palin won, I would have taken up arms ... all 8 of them.

    What causes sociopathy? There are many, some due to extreme abuse and neglect, some arise like spontaneous generation. Not all sociopaths end up prison; some become CEOs of large corporations, and some enter politics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perhaps what’s most disturbing about such events as Rocky details is the way they shatter the illusion that anything is predictable or certain in life. We confuse hopes with the facts on the ground, words with deeds, etc. Matthew Arnold is at his best in describing this melancholy realization; “Dover Beach” says it all:

    the world, which seems
    To lie before us like a land of dreams,
    So various, so beautiful, so new,
    Hath really neither joy, nor love, nor light,
    Nor certitude, nor peace, nor help for pain . . .

    I think most people are basically non-violent and decent, but it only takes a small minority of the truly vicious to make life unlivable. Aside from those who are deranged and have no idea what they’re doing (such people are forces of nature, not human agents), I have no patience and no sympathy with the extremely violent. I have seen people go down the path of crime, and it occurs to me that the precise path they take reveals much about them: not all criminals are violent. Not every junkie robs and murders someone to get his fix—some just steal. Why? Because they’re mixed up, not violent. They will break the law any number of ways, but they will not kill or even harm another human being. There is hope for them, and I’m against unenlightened policies that would rather lock up troubled people than help them. It’s obvious we are making this mistake, based on our incarceration statistics.

    So I agree that the drug laws in America are thoroughly bad—in fact, they’re cruel. I’ve seen the problem first-hand, and have lived through the awful consequences of the prison-industrial complex’s mishandling of it. By all means, “decriminalize” drug abuse—control the most dangerous substances, yes, but this isn’t a problem that can be dealt with by casting people into prison.

    Drugs aside, serious violence with malice aforethought is where I draw the line. Social predictors can explain much, but I don’t think they can entirely account for such depravity. The violence some people do constitutes an outrage so great that no language, no rational framework, is adequate to its description: their actions go very far towards invalidating the concept of humanity that most of us labor our whole lives to make good.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome civil discourse from all people but express no obligation to allow contributors and readers to be trolled. Any comment that sinks to the level of bigotry, defamation, personal insults, off-topic rants, and profanity will be deleted without notice.