Friday, January 29, 2010

It's not true

Nothing is true, all things are permitted
- Hassan i Sabah -


No, I didn't watch the State of the Union Address Wednesday and I haven't read the transcript and I don't care what it says because it doesn't matter. As Justice Alito said, "It's not true." Nothing is true, at least nothing that the opposition, the enemy says and we're all the opposition and we're all the enemy, listening only to ourselves and the prophets who repeat what we want to hear. We're all the majority of course; silent or otherwise and if we're also the persecuted minority, vide supra. The other guy is always Guy Fawkes, plotting to destroy order, even though order itself is the enemy and war is the goal and peace is for the weak.

As the persecuted minority, anything we do is permitted; anything even if it means selling our country to global robber barons and promoting 'every man for himself' anarchy and if we fall down, if chaos comes, we will just deny it and chant the doctrine of less government or more government or whatever it is, because nothing is true and all things are justified.

No, frankly my dear reader, I don't give a damn. I was foolish to hope that the dogs of the fallen regime wouldn't bring down the next one and that the cancer it planted in the court wouldn't aid them in setting the stage for our next Republican president, our first wholly owned president and a subsidiary of Exxon or Humana or KBR or Halliburton or the People's Bank of China. It's a small world after all and there are a lot of hungry giants.

Yes, they failed to privatize Social Security, they only partially succeeded in privatizing the military, but the goal of privatizing The Legislative and Executive branches is about to follow the privatizing of the Court. Behold the United States of America, inc - or GmbH or SA or Ltd or whatever floats the global boat. But it's not true, as the judge said. You never really wanted reform, did you? No, it never happened and this isn't happening and it's all going to be all right -- just look at the light.

12 comments:

  1. I'm not giving up! I have a mission and porpoise in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The high point of my day has been reading a Nat. Geo. article about the discovery of pigmentation in a dino-skin. "Stuff and Dino Feathers!" Say it with pride.

    Well, I try to stay positive, but I find myself increasingly frustrated with Democrats at the national level. Health-care access was one of the main things upon which Barack Obama and the Democrats campaigned. “Elect us because, among other things, we will greatly improve access to health care,” they suggested. It would seem that the yield of their slow efforts from 2009 (including a naïve attempt to get cynical Republicans and pseudo-Democrats to support them) is – metaphors. Hackneyed metaphors. We are told that the health bill is “on life support,” “in critical condition,” and so forth. Very impressive! Even though thousands will die this year because they can’t afford insurance and can’t get access to health care, and thousands of others will become unable to afford rising premiums, the only thing that really matters – the truly redemptive thing – is that our elected officials seize every opportunity to show us they can whip up a figure of speech as well as the next person.

    A Patented Simple Dino suggestion: pass health care reform soon, either in part or in whole. That’s why millions of citizens voted for you with some enthusiasm, and it would be a genuine accomplishment. If you fail to pass it, the only reason for supporting you is that the other party is even worse. The choice will then be “naïve, confused and ineffective versus disciplined, cynical and corporatist.” That isn’t a recipe for electoral success. I will vote Democratic because I know what “even worse” is likely to yield – but don’t hold your breath waiting for the majority of voters to follow that line of thinking. They will either vote right-wing, third party or just sit out the election altogether. If they do, you will have discredited yourself for a good while as a party incapable of running anything more complex than a hot-dog stand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurray for pigmentation in dino-skin and for camouflage in cephalopods, not to leave out the voyages of Blue Moon which, hopefully, will whisk us away to more rational shores.

    In keeping with this deeply felt and mutually shared frustration, I have taken the liberty of removing Patrick of Sane Political Discourse from our link list.

    As you know, your faithful 8pus has made many attempts to engage the other side in dialogue without diatribe ... but I have little to show for the effort (there is only one conservative blogger left on our blogroll).

    They are different from us, you know.

    Now, back to the culture wars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only comfort I have when looking at the political-money system is that this is the way the world has been turning for centuries. Those with always control the way the world turns, why should things be any different now, here? It would be nice, but nice, as we know, doesn't go far in this world, at least if you want control and power.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those in control have a vested interest in hyping the All against All warfare of Politics, it serves them to make the 99.9% of the world fight over the 1% of resources they choose not to dominate.

    It keeps life nasty, brutish and short for the rest of humanity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Octopüß said...
    I'm not giving up! I have a mission and porpoise in life."

    I've been in tuna with that sentiment since I started reading this blog.

    I haddock another idea, though: Mahi, just mahi we can answer, as a grouper, the more sailfish of these pompano asses who come to our blogs and crappie them up.

    I swear to cod, I'll snapper at the next troll that comes down the pike for the sole porpoise to smelt up my comments.

    Face it: They're soleless bass-terds with shad-dy eelgos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa Shaw, that is quite the comeback - very clever!
    Of course SOME people MIGHT say you have way too much time on your hands, but not me... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very funny, Shaw! And yes, very clever. Who knew you can to THAT with fish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to comment often over at Atrios' blog, Eschaton, and many of us would do this sort of thing--a lot of times using bird and tree names, so I admit, I've done it before.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shaw: "using bird and tree names"

    Most egretable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jeeze, I go away for a weekend and upon my return, I find everyone making allegations behind my back. So help me, I’m gonna find out who those allegators are!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, quit your carping - it's making me eel.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome civil discourse from all people but express no obligation to allow contributors and readers to be trolled. Any comment that sinks to the level of bigotry, defamation, personal insults, off-topic rants, and profanity will be deleted without notice.