Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Best News I've Had All Day

Patricia Murphy of The Capitolist, reports that Senator Lindsey Graham is the New Maverick in Congress.  The man's accent makes this S. Carolinian crazy and don't get me started on the haircut, but I'm really grateful that somebody in The Palmetto State occasionally backs the POTUS--it's a miracle, when it happens, but I'll take it!  Especially when he pronounces the demise of the Tea Party: "The problem with the Tea Party, I think it's just unsustainable because they can never come up with a coherent vision for governing the country. It will die out."  Lindsey, my main man!




Compared to most of the quotable moments that come out of the state, Graham will sometimes sound like an intelligent guy; so, how come on the gay subject he sounds as dumb as Jake Knotts?  
"I know it's really gonna upset a lot of gay men -- I'm sure hundreds of 'em are gonna be jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge -- but I ain't available. I ain't gay. Sorry."
I don't get it.  He knowed how to talk real good t'other day with Elena Kagan, and he dumbs down on affectional orientation.  It's not a new rumor, by the way; calling a politician gay is a frequently used ploy in SC--they're pretty sophomoric that way.  And Graham's response, in which he dignifies the accusation as only a South Carolinian can, indicates that he takes that old tactic way too seriously when it's applied to him.

Come on, Lindsey.  Be a real maverick and ignore stuff like this.  


10 comments:

  1. So the Graham cracker has the luxury of bashing tea buggers because he is not up for re-election, and maybe an investment in maverickiness now will raise his political stock later, and maybe a little anhedonia doesn't quite sink to the level of atheism, but that is still no excuse for filiblubbering the unemployment benefits bill in a state that has the second highest unemployment rate in the land. Shame on him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An apology due: I didn't mean to break the revery of good news. My mood has been ultra cynical these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shaw, you clever dickens! I'm about to post this on my home blog and I have to embed the video! With full credits to you, of course.

    Octo, I think this post clearly demonstrates that I am losing the battle to distract myself from cynicism by writing silliness. Graham scares me; one never knows what he's going to do with the power he's grabbed by his unpredictable moves. Sophomoric, indeed! And, I fear, a player in 2012. I will gag on my grits that day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never thought the Senator was gay.

    I had him down as a eunuch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah he can talk a good game but does he back the president when it matters -- with his vote? Looks to me like he stands in lockstep with the rest of the GOPers, just like Lamar Alexander, my senator in TN. Sure they love to present themselves as moderates but look at what they DO not what they say.

    What they DO is SOS -- same ol' shit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Before you get too excited, just remember what the last maverick turned out to be like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He likes show tunes for gawd sake.
    My gaydar says he's simply super.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "The problem with the Tea Party, I think it's just unsustainable because they can never come up with a coherent vision for governing the country. It will die out." This is also the same way most of America thinks of the Republican Party! But those fuckers are still around, so I don't see the teabaggers closing up shop any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tim,

    I wasn't going to say that, myself. But, now that you've mentioned it, he and Andre Bauer have clearly been seeing the same hairdresser, honey.

    Dusty,

    It's Wag The Dog all over again. He loves to play cat-and-mouse at the televised congressional hearings--cutesy courtroom stuff that belongs in "My Cousin Vinny." Can you imagine him in a presidential primary? We'd better.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome civil discourse from all people but express no obligation to allow contributors and readers to be trolled. Any comment that sinks to the level of bigotry, defamation, personal insults, off-topic rants, and profanity will be deleted without notice.