Friday, July 2, 2010

OCTOPUS’ MOST AMAZING SEAFOOD CHOWDER (A SECRET RECIPE)


(Click on image to enlarge.)

Your faithful cephalopod should have posted this recipe a few days ago to give you ample time to shop for the holiday weekend.  Better late than never, as human folks say.  All told, this recipe is expensive and will set you back a few (s)quid but is well worth it. Why not enjoy a seafood feast now while supplies last (before BP and other slagging indicators deprive you of the pleasure).

Ingredients:

1/2 pound bacon
1/2 cup butter (or margarine)
2 cups chopped onions
2 cans chicken stock
2 cups chopped celery
2 medium carrots – chopped (alternate: red and yellow peppers)
3 medium potatoes – diced (or 2 cans of cooked potatoes that don’t mush like fresh potatoes)
3 teaspoons Old Bay Seafood seasoning
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
4 cups whole milk
2/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 pound fresh cod or haddock – cut into bite size pieces
6 ounces (or more) fresh crabmeat
3 cans baby clams (if you don’t like clams, substitute with 16 ounces of crab chunks)
1 pound medium size shrimp
1 cup (8 ounces) lobster chunks

Method to my madness:

1 - Cut bacon into 3/8 pieces and slowly fry until crisp. Drain on paper and set aside.

2 – Melt butter in a large saucepan, add onions and celery (and chopped peppers), and cook over low heat until tender.

3 - Mix Old Bay spice and flour to about half the milk. Add to saucepan (above) and sauté.

3- Add chicken broth, carrots, and black pepper. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 5 to 6 minutes.

4 – Add diced potatoes and simmer until carrots and potatoes are tender.

5 – Add fish and simmer for a minute or two.

6 – Add crabmeat. Stir in the remaining milk and simmer until the mixture begins to thicken.

IF MAKING A DAY AHEAD OF TIME, STOP HERE AND REFRIGERATE OVERNIGHT.

7 – Reheat the previously prepared saucepan. Stir in the clams (if using), shrimp, and lobster. Taste and adjust seasoning.

8 – Ladle into cups or bowls and sprinkle with crisp bacon chips.

Notes: Overnight refrigeration lets the flavors blend. Honorary cephalopods never overcook the shrimp. When shopping, select only white crabmeat (and save the grey matter for blogging). If dietary restrictions apply, substitute margarine for butter and reduce the amount of salt. Serves 10 people or less (usually much less).

11 comments:

  1. Sounds absolutely delicious. There's not too much "fresh" fish or seafood around these parts however - lots of farm raised (even catfish for Pete's sake). Try to find pasteurized lump crab.
    I bookmarked this and am anxious to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What time is dinner? I'll bring the booze.. I crave seafood...not so much here though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't get crabmeat here in the fucking San Joaquin valley...believe me, I look. Of Course I can pay an arm and a leg for FRESH crabmeat..but on my check that ain't possible.

    But I will show up w/vodka and cran if YOU are serving it up! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a vegan; it's what I do with what's happened to my retirement portfolio. And another small effort at carbon-footprint reduction. The former works, even if the latter is lame.

    And I love you for posting a RECIPE! Not much to celebrate this 4th. The bombs a-bursting remind me of the roadside variety. To judge from the Commissary at Miramar today, most folks are celebrating FOOD, so let's go with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Octo,

    Thanks. I would send along my recipe for stegosaurus stew, but the main ingredient is difficult to obtain ....

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds delicious although I would leave out clams and NOT tell my husband they were in the recipe. He loves them, I hate them so we do not eat them, life is full of compromises... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kosher version (you WOULD have to ask me that!)?

    Hmm ... (thinking) ... (drum roll) ...

    Substitute the following:

    Bacon > pastrami
    Flour > Matzoh meal
    Milk > deli mustard
    Cod or haddock > gefillte fish
    Crabmat > chilcken
    Baby clams > chicken hearts
    Shrimp > bubble gum chewed into shrimp shapes
    Lobster > marshmallows

    Bon appetite!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Octo, I made your seafood chowder for a dinner party this past weekend and it was delicious! Thank you for the wonderful recipe. I live two hours from the coast so we have an abundance of seafood markets and I was able to get all fresh seafood. There were no leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reminds me of visiting Seaworld with my wife... she just wanted to eat the attractions.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome civil discourse from all people but express no obligation to allow contributors and readers to be trolled. Any comment that sinks to the level of bigotry, defamation, personal insults, off-topic rants, and profanity will be deleted without notice.