Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Cornel West and the Blackness Patrol

I'm not a fan of Cornel West nor his buddy in the "Obama isn't black enough" club, Tavis Smiley. West identifies himself as a part of the black intellectual elite and as such, fully expected that he would play a pivotal role in Obama's campaign and be an often consulted advisor of the nation's first black president. His issues with Obama began when Senator Obama was running for office. The commitment that West, Smiley and others demand from Obama is to support black interests at the costs of all others.

Yesterday, columnist Chris Hedges' graced us with an article entitle The Obama Deception: Why Cornel West Went Ballistic. In the first line of the article, Hedges dubs Cornel West a moral philosopher and a voice of moral conscience if Obama's ascent to power was a morality play. Funny, I don't recall any meeting of black folks to elect West as our moral compass. If any of y'all took part in this vote, drop me a line and tell me when and where the election was held.

A telling story on West is that he was livid that he did not receive tickets to the inauguration. I have to wonder how much of his criticism of the President is motivated by his hurt feelings that he has not been included in the President's inner circle. The point of West's diatribe against Obama that he shared with Hedges appears to center on West's belief that Obama is a sellout who is a white man in a black skin. West pontificates at length on this topic:
“I think my dear brother Barack Obama has a certain fear of free black men,” West says. “It’s understandable. As a young brother who grows up in a white context, brilliant African father, he’s always had to fear being a white man with black skin. All he has known culturally is white. He is just as human as I am, but that is his cultural formation. When he meets an independent black brother, it is frightening. And that’s true for a white brother. When you get a white brother who meets a free, independent black man, they got to be mature to really embrace fully what the brother is saying to them. It’s a tension, given the history. It can be overcome. Obama, coming out of Kansas influence, white, loving grandparents, coming out of Hawaii and Indonesia, when he meets these independent black folk who have a history of slavery, Jim Crow, Jane Crow and so on, he is very apprehensive. He has a certain rootlessness, a deracination. It is understandable."
Dr. West, you're full of crap. West is a professor at Princeton, not exactly in the hood. What credentials does West posses that qualify him to define blackness and exclude those whom he feels don't do "being black" right? It's a rhetorical question; he has none. It's difficult enough being marginalized based on skin color without the further complication of having members of your own group decide that you don't measure up to some arbitrary standard of membership in the group. West also takes issue with Michelle Obama, questioning why she doesn't visit a prison or "spend some time in the hood." 

West and Rev. Al Sharpton engaged in heated debate at Smiley's recent annual State of Black America conference. Sharpton insisted (rightly I believe) that Obama is the president of all the people and that promoting policies that benefit all Americans will benefit black Americans. West insisted that Obama has become the soul of darkness itself, betraying the poor, particularly poor black people. However, I don't think that West's ire comes from any real belief that Obama is the anti-Christ; he's upset because Obama stopped calling him on the phone.
“There is the personal level,” he says. “I used to call my dear brother [Obama] every two weeks. I said a prayer on the phone for him, especially before a debate. And I never got a call back. And when I ran into him in the state Capitol in South Carolina when I was down there campaigning for him he was very kind. The first thing he told me was, ‘Brother West, I feel so bad. I haven’t called you back. You been calling me so much. You been giving me so much love, so much support and what have you.’ And I said, ‘I know you’re busy.’ But then a month and half later I would run into other people on the campaign and he’s calling them all the time. I said, wow, this is kind of strange. He doesn’t have time, even two seconds, to say thank you or I’m glad you’re pulling for me and praying for me, but he’s calling these other people."
West does deal with some substance as to his issues with Obama. He feels that Obama has betrayed his populist promises, adopting a centrist agenda instead of the progressive populist agenda that Obama promised during his campaign. I give West some credit on this point. I think that on many issues Obama has chosen to be centrist or as West puts it, an advocate of a neo-liberal centrist policy in the same mold as Bill Clinton. I don't think that's a bad thing. I'm a pragmatist and I never believed that Obama would be able to implement a purely progressive agenda in less than a single term. Change is always incremental unless it's done through revolution, which seldom works out well as the lofty goals of the revolutionaries are soon corrupted.  West never fully fleshes out the specifics of his issues with Obama's presidential policies and decisions; instead he goes off on another rant declaring that the President "...feels most comfortable with upper middle-class white and Jewish men who consider themselves very smart, very savvy and very effective in getting what they want...”

West does raise concerns about the have-nots in America, the people who have been marginalized and haven't fared well under any administration, including the current one. I could get behind a push to urge Obama to take more aggressive steps in addressing eroding poverty in America but I don't buy into West's vision of himself as a prophet shouting the truth in the wilderness nor his vision of Obama as Darth Vader embracing his dark side. Clearly there is a lot of work to be done but the President has given no indication that he is unaware that the journey has only just begun.

Hedges is late to the party. West's rants against the president are nothing new in black media.  He and Smiley had a hissy fit when candidate Obama declined to attend Smiley's annual State of Black America conference. Smiley has declared himself the voice of black America over the last decade and West has bestowed his blessing on Smiley. The other third of this triumvirate of blackness is Michael Eric Dyson, who joins Smiley and West in measuring the President's blackness and finding it insufficient. If you are truly interested in keeping up with what a lot of black people are talking about, add Black America Web to your bookmarks.

For another perspective on West and Hedges' article, please check out this article by Melissa Harris-Perry, an associate professor of politics and African-American studies at Princeton University and a colleague of West,  Cornel West v. Barack Obama.

Clearly, I don't believe that the President is immune from criticism; neither does the author of the article that I recommended above. I think that he has made missteps and errors in judgment. However, Hedges' article isn't about those errors and missteps as much as it is about Cornel West, a man with a self-inflated ego who is peeved that his "greatness" is not fully recognized by the President.

14 comments:

  1. "Dr. West, you're full of crap."

    It always seemed rather strange to me that someone can tell someone what he is, should be or should not be because he's got some black ancestors. I try but I can't avoid the bitter smell of racism and divisiveness and the taste of hypocrisy.

    It's not criticism of the President as president, that's the duty of a citizen, it's about what a black man is supposed to be and I thought that one of the things his election proved was that the answer is "whatever he wants to be."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheria,

    Enjoyed your excellent post as always. I wrote something for SWASH a long time ago that might be appropriate here; in commenting about Frederick Douglass, I said,

    “We won't find Douglass engaging in jingoism or echo-chamber heroics; his ‘Oration in Memory of Abraham Lincoln’ is remarkable for its simultaneous appreciation of the man’s accomplishments and assessment of his shortcomings: ‘Viewed from the genuine abolition ground, Mr. Lincoln seemed tardy, cold, dull, and indifferent; but measuring him by the sentiment of his country, a sentiment he was bound as a statesman to consult, he was swift, zealous, radical, and determined....’”

    Though I have considerable regard for them, I don’t hear from some of the current president’s critics the same generous yet measured opinion or see in them the same attempt to take the long view of history. To be fair, Douglass was writing his oration after Lincoln died and so there was time for reflection (which I think Douglass had already long since made), and yes, the current president has a track record to criticize, but it isn’t a tremendously long one – certainly not long enough to be making the democracy-sky-is-falling statements referenced.

    As Douglass wrote of Lincoln, a leader is “bound as a statesman to consult” the “sentiment” of his country. That means taking stock of its limitations. It means determining what you can and can’t do here and now, and how you might achieve it when it becomes possible. It means tuning out the noise your critics make and keeping your nose to the grindstone doing the nation’s business. I think that’s exactly what Barack Obama is doing.

    And now if you’ll excuse me, I have a luncheon scheduled with one of my dear brothers and sisters the stegosaurs…. Preferably a nice tender one not above three years of age….

    ReplyDelete
  3. Living around here, one gets the feeling that all the world despises Barack Obama and people are startled and dismayed to find out one doesn't. It's the sentiment of this part of the country, certainly and perhaps those consulting it feel quite at ease insulting the man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Capt. Fogg,

    Yes, that's why they're going to be so surprised, I think, if the rest of us in Uncle Samistan re-elect Obama to a second term. They'll have to resort to still more conspiracy theory fun and games to explain it. But that's fine -- they'll be able to take comfort in the "fact" that he's not really in charge anyhow, right? Anyway, Sheria's post is spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, Sheria. I'm in agreement with the comments here and with your assessment of Prof. West.

    Jonathan Capehart of the WaPo is also in agreement and his sensible piece in the Washington Post is here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shaw, thank you for the link to Capehart's article. He is so on target!

    Captain, I love your summation: '...it's about what a black man is supposed to be and I thought that one of the things his election proved was that the answer is "whatever he wants to be."' I think that is exactly it and West just doesn't get it!

    Dino, I find your words on Douglass and his evaluation of Lincoln to be totally appropriate. No one is without shortcomings and if West were simply pointing out Obama's shortcomings then I wouldn't take issue with him. However, West shows no appreciation for Obama and his criticism is of the very essence of the man.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So as black people are we supposed to simply over look the fact that Barack Obama avoids race and racial issues like the plague? He has done nothing to address any of the issues that are infecting black people. I'm not delusional in thinking that Obama should be the Black Panther President but to avoid our issues all together is obscene. What are his proposed policies to help alleviate the mass jailing of our people? What about the extensive unemployment for blacks? Our unemployment rates are closer to 20% while others are "claimed" to be at 9%. What about the still more than active racial discrimination at work, when seeking homes, or applying for bank loans? These are all questions that Dr. West is and has asked for many months. Its sickening that we are allowing Obama to shirk his responsibilities to us as a people. Never mind what he's not doing for the country as a whole. All I know is; if we don't hold him accountable then we'll never be able to compete on an international level because believe me the next white man RepubliKlan or not, will not address our many issues. So continue to drink the Kool Aid the 1st black POTUS is serving like a bar serves Hennessy but I'll pass. I appreciate Dr. West and his constant questioning of the 1st black POTUS. Hate him all you want but when nothing changes as Obama promised and things for us get worse - save your tears for the Tea Party I'm sure they'll be more than willing to address your issues.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carlita, we disagree. I don't think that the president has avoided race or racial issues. Black people are not the only people who are unemployed. We have a disproportionately high number of black people who are unemployed for a variety of historical reasons, practices and policies that preceded Obama. The President continues to address unemployment and any solutions to unemployment in general will benefit all people, including us. I just don't see that Obama needs to or can invest in only addressing the unemployment needs of black people.

    As for the larger social ills of racism, exactly what is it that you would have Obama do? How is he supposed to put an end to racial discrimination, something that some black and some white people been trying to do for generations?

    Where I really take issue with West is that for all of his posturing, he doesn't offer a single concrete suggestion other than that Mrs. Obama should visit prisons and the hood.

    I've addressed your points with respect which is something that you have failed to do with respect to my post. So continue to drink the Kool Aid the 1st black POTUS is serving like a bar serves Hennessy but I'll pass....save your tears for the Tea Party I'm sure they'll be more than willing to address your issues.

    Perhaps you ascribe to the same notion as Dr. West, that blackness is something to be defined and anyone who doesn't meet the definition isn't black enough. You don't know me and quite frankly, you don't appear to understand my point at all. Disagree with my perspective if you will, but disparaging my ability to think for myself is not acceptable. If you come back to visit, try and be civil. I may not be so polite the next time and you really wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carlita,

    I want President Obama to address the issues you reference, but I honestly don't see any way he can do it properly in his first term. Frankly, I think we would see a "white backlash" on a grand scale and he would end up being marginalized. Anyone who thinks otherwise underestimates the degree of racism that remains in this country. It’s unfair and frustrating, but it’s almost certainly true, and I think Mr. Obama is a sharp enough politician to know it. (Remember how freaked out a lot of white folk became just because the man made a negative statement -- a deserved one, in my view -- about how “stupidly” the police had handled the H. L. Gates case?)

    I think it would be wrong for him not to speak out on behalf of African Americans and others in a second term, when the intense pressures of electoral politics no longer mean as much to an incumbent president and when racial issues still call for moral persuasion and statesmanship. It would be dishonest to suggest that just because Obama won two terms, we’ve arrived at the Promised Land of equality. That’s exactly the sort of nonsense a good many white people apparently want to believe – I have enough faith in the president to suppose he won’t want to reinforce such a view.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dino, I think that you've hit the nail squarely on the head. Timing is important and we are indeed far from the Promised Land of equality.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's interesting to observe that to do what Carlita wants him to do, the president would have to be a dictator. We seem to have some rather contradictory ideas and expectations about our presidents.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Carlita Campos

    Ismael Reed once said that as long as they're trying to kill him , I support him. My father said that you can tell when a Black Man is doing a good job by how many people hate him. The POTUS is doing a good job. I am not a cheerleader for the man, I am a realist. If the POTUS goes on television and announces a new program for minorities, Klannity would have a month of "why is the POTUS only helping Blacks" show. He didn't advertise the Pigford case and for good reason. Breitbart went and tried to sabotage it anyway. Ever since he was a Senator he was working on the Pigford case. When he seen his college professor that walked with a cane since he was 15 years old dragged to jail , he was outraged. Fox called him racist. Imagined if Chaarles Krauthammer was dragged out of his wheelchair after a 16 hour flight.

    The POTUS can't tell the truth. We didn't elect President Dolomite or President Pryor. This country is racist to the bone. If you want to direct you anger direct it after the Koch family or Fox, not the POTUS.

    @Sheria

    Good article Sheria. For the life of me I don't know why Cornel West is acting like Col. Alan West. Now I know Tavis excuse, but they should have chilled out by now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't support the comment left by Anonymous but that's not why I removed it. I removed it because it was left anonymously. If you have something to say, at lease use a name. It doesn't have to be your real name, but there should be a link so that people have the opportunity to find out what you believe by visiting your web site in return. So Anonymous, you're welcome to come back and repost, but leave a calling card.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome civil discourse from all people but express no obligation to allow contributors and readers to be trolled. Any comment that sinks to the level of bigotry, defamation, personal insults, off-topic rants, and profanity will be deleted without notice.