Sunday, September 22, 2013

Do not attempt

I just saw it again in a movie - our protagonists frantically one step ahead of a superhuman pursuer jump on to a motorcycle in desperation, but pause to put on a helmet. I say again because it's certainly not the first time.  Panicked fugitives stop to put on seat belts leaving any of the audience who had been carried along by the plot behind as if all the phone numbers beginning with 555 haven't already.

A car rolls slowly down a beautiful leaf strewn autumn road, while the massage crawls across the bottom, admonishing us not to to do this yourself and that there is a trained professional at the wheel and the road is closed. Of course that's less ridiculous than when the same warning is presented as the car drives out the back of an airplane, or off a bridge.  Who are we warning and would a warning have any effect on the guy who thinks his Toyota can fly?

Watching a show about asset recovery agents - repo men - who specialize in stealing helicopters and jets and even megayachts from people who have stopped making payments. I of course, see the same warning. "Don't do this yourself, trained professionals." Damn, and I had my leather helmet and goggles on already.

Funny thing that we don't see these things with movies about criminals or people who invade foreign countries - Trained professional bank robbers, etc. or people who land on the moon, (Don't try this yourself) but hey.

I've already complained about instruction manuals for everything from q-tips to digital cameras that have 10 pages of warnings for every paragraph explaining how to use it. Don't use a hammer to clean your ears, don't stand on a wet floor and stick your tongue in a light socket while using this camera.

The stuff that's actually dangerous?  Not so much. Yes, I think one of the ceramic knives I bought for my wife said something like "don't cut yourself" but that's mild in today's America and of course it doesn't tell you to hire a chef and leave the cutting to her. No warning that "contents may be fattening" on my fridge or "don't use in the shower" on the toaster but then I didn't read the manuals. My cars' instruction books didn't suggest getting a chauffeur and there's no sign on my lawn relative to not cutting it myself. I'm willing to bet more people are hurt by power mowers than by cameras but none of this is about objective reality, is it?  But I could be wrong.

Maybe  I'm just reckless and irresponsible.  Maybe I should be more cautious about life in general. I'm considering putting up a sign over the front door - facing inwards.  How does "Don't go out  by yourself.  It's a jungle out there, for trained professionals only."

10 comments:

  1. LOL! I've got the best warning by far.

    I bought a product called "Cape Cod Silver Polishing Cloths." (Yes, I still occasionally polish the silver--Mom, grandma are you listening?")

    After I opened the package and pulled out one cloth to start my chore, I turned it over and read this:

    "Do not put cloth in mouth and chew."

    I'm not making this up.

    Apparently there are silver polishers out and about in the land who, when presented with these irresistibly handy little cloths, would immediately think of shoving them in their mouths to masticate.

    I, personally, know no one like that. But one can't be too careful these days, can one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would it be OK if you're a "trained professional?" Otherwise I've got nothing in the house for dinner. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank the attorneys. Come to think of it attorneys should come with a warning label. "Consult with EXTREME cautions."

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the front window, a sign reads: "Free Wi-Fi Zone" ... until you go inside.

    On your iFad, the hoops you jump just to log-on. "Register for promotional offers guaranteed to jam your inbox with spam until the cows come home." Or this: "Read this 5,000 word disclaimer notice and press 'agree' in blood before you take one more step - or else."

    Meanwhile, in the produce section, some dumb ass has just stuffed a dozen lima beans up his nose. Warning: "There's always a pea brain - somewhere."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe he meant P-brane? You never can tell who's into M theory these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Plop, plop, plop went the wheels
    Stop, stop, stop went my heartstrings
    As he started to go then I started to know how it feels
    When the universe reels

    ReplyDelete
  7. How did we get to the angular momentum of the Universe from warning labels? Is there something in the water? Should there be a warning not to drink it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Universe is
    A legal department's worst nightmare.
    Exploding stars, dust, and debris
    Everywhere;
    But no Space-Time for
    Warning labels or
    Waivers of liability.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perhaps time has run out of space
    no place
    to keep things any more
    Cosmic dust lies on the floor

    Dark matter's
    making it fatter
    but not soon enough
    to fit all this stuff

    I'll be the first
    to warn it all could burst

    ReplyDelete
  10. Inertia's way of reminding us to clean out the garage.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome civil discourse from all people but express no obligation to allow contributors and readers to be trolled. Any comment that sinks to the level of bigotry, defamation, personal insults, off-topic rants, and profanity will be deleted without notice.