Saturday, May 30, 2015

Nothing New Under The Sun.
Or In Pop Culture.

Do you think memes are something new?

In 1928, a cartoon by Carl Rose, which was captioned by E.B. White (of Stuart Little and Charlotte's Web fame), was published in The New Yorker. Broccoli was a new thing on the American plate, having been introduced by Italian immigrants on the East Coast.
The New Yorker was only three years old at that point, and was not as successful as it would be later. (Also, in what might be entirely coincidence, "spinach" was a term in 19th Century England for "nonsense.")

For whatever reason, the phrase caught on: "I say it's spinach" came to mean "to hell with it," and eventually "spinach" came to mean something worthless. Elizabeth Hawes, for example, titled her 1938 autobiographical exposé of the fashion industry, for example, Fashion is Spinach.

Alexander Woolcott used the phrase in 1934's While Rome Burns ("I do not myself so regard it. I say it's spinach.") S.J. Perelman was an American humorist who wrote (among other things) two Marx Brothers movies (Monkey Business and Horse Feathers) and, in 1958, a TV version of Aladdin with music by Cole Porter; he wrote a story in 1944 for the Saturday Evening Post called "Dental or Mental, I Say It’s Spinach."

Speaking of Cole Porter, other musicians used the phrase, too.

As with most immigrants, Israel Isidore Baline (better known as Irving Berlin) felt he needed to be more American (and more patriotic) than anybody around him. (It's pretty common with a person "born-again" into any subculture - religious, societal, or any other coherent group.) His way of doing that was to be more in touch with popular culture than anybody else. So he wrote songs that reflected "the common man" - many of them, we would now consider racist (but that was very common in America at the time).

In 1932, Berlin was already a successful musician, when he wrote the musical Face the Music. (That wasn't redundant. Shut up!) In it, he included the song "I Say It's Spinach (And The Hell With It)."


The lyrics start at 1:14, if you're in a hurry.

Also, despite the impression you get from the video, the first Popeye cartoon was made by Fleischer Studios a year after this song was recorded, in 1933. And at the end of the song, the Popeye-like voice is by a man named Poley McClintock. He'd been using the low, croaky voice on records since 1927; some people have suggested that voice actor William (Billy) Costello based the voice of Popeye on McClintock.

So, even without the internet, a single meme could find a place in the popular culture of America before parts of the country even had running water.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess that one died out, but I still don't much like cooked spinach, unless it's in a pizza.

    That we don't say that any more may have something to do with our having become a much more vulgar society. What used to be spinach is now bullshit or worse, not that they don't taste the same to me. Memes, tropes and buzzwords seem to last much longer now and that's strange in a culture that detests and mocks the obsolete. Will I live to see a day when Americans aren't trying to work the word "selfie" into every sentence and everything isn't awesome or epic? Probably not.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We measure our life passages in our nostalgia of pop culture. A tune recalls a memory; a collection of kitsch from a bygone era.

    Months ago, I received an invitation to a 50th high school reunion. Will I have time to attend? Dare to eat a peach? Wear my bell-bottoms rolled and walk upon a beach? Pack a bag and bring a nametag? At least I won’t have to lie about my age.

    I turn the pages of an old yearbook and see former classmates as I last remembered them – always standing behind, inside, outside, and alongside cars (our means of independence, among other explorations - now deemed illegal). Once upon a time the key to success was 'plastic'; now the future is drones.

    My yearbook remembers lost bets and unpaid debts and adolescent indiscretions; broken dates and heartbreaks long since forgotten; and fines on overdue library books (that now exceed my total net worth). All things being equal, my grandchildren are almost old enough to be tried as adults.

    "The times, they are a changing." Years ago, spammers filled my email box with messages of ‘enhance this’ and ‘enlarge that.’ These days, I forward them to Bruce 'Gender-Bender' Jenner.

    Regrettably, I am unable to attend the 50th because my partner in life will be retiring from a 30-year teaching career. Her retirement overlaps our reunion, and she will need me by her side as we open the next chapter of our lives. Nevertheless, I will be with my classmates in spirit.

    Fifty years and fifty classmates, some no longer with us (may they rest in peace); I propose renaming our old yearbook to Fifty Shades of Grey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Thomas Wolfe said, "you can't go home again" You're likely to find that you best friends in the old days have changed beyond recognition and affection.

    I used to be all about cars, fixing, altering, restoring racing them and now my contemporaries think only of self-driving safety capsules and of course pop culture is just advertising for more pop culture. The future is fear and advertizing.

    Nah, beaches, peaches and love are where it's at. You can't go home again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say it's spinch, I throw it in my stir fry and say to hell with it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the word - so much classier than Bullshit although it tastes the same.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome civil discourse from all people but express no obligation to allow contributors and readers to be trolled. Any comment that sinks to the level of bigotry, defamation, personal insults, off-topic rants, and profanity will be deleted without notice.