Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I feel pretty

Remember when they raised holy hell about Bill Clinton's $200 haircut? Then there was Edwards' $400 do and all the snide jokes about how that made any concern for working people moot. Then of course, came Mitt Romney with his $2000 hair.

This stuff matters. Nixon's loss to Kennedy was in part attributed to his 5 O'clock shadow and greenish complexion. Reagan wouldn't go on camera without makeup, whether it was the movie camera or the news camera. But any question as to extravagant concerns with looking good have to take into account John McCain's $5,500 face.

Hey, he's 72 and has facial scars and his fishbelly white skin is the result of avoiding the sun as assiduously as Count Dracula because of his history of Melanoma. He's got a lot to cover up and I'm not just talking about his past statements and his past associations.

Don't get me wrong - it's his face and his money - and with a hundred million dollar wife who gets the tax breaks that hundred million dollar folks do, it's chump change. If there's any significance in any of this, it's only to point out the hilarity of the "elitist Obama" charade. Crew cut Barak strikes me as more of the neighborhood barber shop kind of guy - and of course he has far less to hide.

4 comments:

  1. Back in the hippie days, when Jesus-long hairdos were in fashion, I was probably the only kid on motorcycle sporting an Obama cut; not because I wasn't sympatico, it was because the only barber in my college neighborhood was African-American who cut hair only one way ... to the scalp.

    These days, my hair is old and thin, and short-short keeps it trim. Back then, I was out of sync with the times; I have finally come of age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Long gray hair never did look cool IMO - unless you think Ted Kaszinsky belongs on the cover of GQ.

    Yep, I had real long hair in the day and it got me into trouble more than once.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Despite the cool Obama cut I sported during the Flower-Jesus era, I still got in trouble. Pulled my motorcycle up to a gas pump to fill up and spent a tormented night at a local police precinct just because I was a college student. Oh, yes, I remember the days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a number of horror stories too, but I'd rather not remember ;-)

    ReplyDelete

We welcome civil discourse from all people but express no obligation to allow contributors and readers to be trolled. Any comment that sinks to the level of bigotry, defamation, personal insults, off-topic rants, and profanity will be deleted without notice.