Monday, February 23, 2009

THE GLOBAL GENDER GAP - 2008

Here are results from the latest Global Gender Gap Report complied by the World Economic Forum.  Specifically, the Report measures the gender gap according to these criteria:
Economic participation and opportunity 
Wage equality, management equality, access to high-skilled employment – as a ratio of female to male;

Educational attainment
Literacy rate, primary, secondary, and advanced enrollment - 
as a ratio of female to male;

Political empowerment 
Parliamentary and ministerial positions, heads of state in years - as a ratio of female to male;

Health care and survival 
Life expectancy and sex ratio at birth.
The Report does not penalize those countries having fewer resources (lower levels of education for example), but assesses countries on how fairly they distribute existing resources between women and men.

Covering 128 countries and 92% of the world’s population, the report shows equality gains for women in two-thirds of the nations studied. Compared with previous study years, gaps in education, political empowerment, and economic opportunity have narrowed, whereas gaps in health care have widened.  One implication of the study is a strong correlation between competitiveness and gender equality; countries that do not utilize their full human potential lose competitiveness. In virtually all countries surveyed, gender equality is weakest on indices of political empowerment.

So where does the good ole U.S. of A. stand on gender equality?  Here are the top ten countries in overall ranking:

(Click on image to enlarge)

Oops!  The good ole U.S. of A., leader of the free world and shining beacon of hope and opportunity, is not even among the top ten.  How about the next group of countries, ranked 11 through 20?

(Click on image to enlarge)

Nope.  Not there.  So where are you hiding, good ole U.S. of A (under a pile of WMDs)?

(Click on image to enlarge)

There you are!  Good ole U.S. of A is ranked number 27 ... well behind the Philippines (ranked #6), Sri Lanka (#12), Lesotho (#16), Mozambique (#18), Cuba (#25), and Barbados (#26).  What a nice role model, good ole U.S. of A., leader of the free world and shining beacon of hope and opportunity!

For a PDF copy of the full report, click here.

8 comments:

  1. Octopus - my companion dweller of the watery deep - I thank you from the bottom of my squidly heart for this post.

    While I am appalled - I am not shocked. Many of us FEMS have known this for sometime even though we are continually confronted by friends & colleagues who are want to say complacent & naive things such as "aren't we in a post-feminist era now?" or "things are better now so we don't need feminism...." or "aren't you making too much of this feminist thing?" or blah blah blah.

    Such naivete & complacency about issues pertaining to women is increasingly setting us back, not moving us forward toward fully realized equality. And women can be just as complacent as men.

    Thanks, Octo, for setting the record straight & putting us as a country in our place. A place we have earned by our own complacency & naivete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow there's no surprise to me here at all, although the suggestion that Latvia, which just had it's sovereign debt rated as "junk" is more competitive than we are is a bit silly, IMO.

    Of course it's no coincidence that we make such a big deal out of our "Christian heritage" which, although it's very slowly changing, includes second class status for women.

    Of course, whether or not in confers economic benefits to provide equal rights and equal protection to everyone, it's the right thing to do.

    I believe we're also far down on the list of longevity and infant mortality as well, but it's easier to chant "we're number one" than to do anything about it and risk offending the religious right and the political barbarians.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I join Squid in thanking you for this post. Growing up in the 60s, I have been the subject of gender discrimination on many occasions. I was even once asked about my plans for future pregnancies (my answer was "none of your f**king business!" as I walked out the door).
    I know that men in my former field make more money than their female counterparts across the board. And I still get the occasional dig from someone about being "emotional" (whatever that is supposed to mean) or some other supposed negative female attribute.
    Like Squid, I'm appalled but not surprised at the results posted here.
    I hope the next generation can make deeper inroads but I think they will have their work cut out for them with the media attention on idiots like "Octomom"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rocky...emotional? Hmm, piss me off if you REALLY want to see some emotions! :)

    My temper is what legends are made of! But alas, age has mellowed me.

    Now, I probably am too much of a numbers guy but I have yet to find one positive thing that the United States is number 1 in.

    I watched a travel show yesterday where they were in Sweden...and the Swedes have a word that is unique in the world, "logrom" (or something like that) and it translates into 'enough' like in their is enough for everyone, there is a balance, where there is enough but not too much.

    I am really interested in that word and the concept. Its going to be my first post on the Swash Zone.

    In my office I have 75% women and 25% men. There are blacks, asians, and gays mixed in. At first everyone was kind of leary of each other but over time things have mellowed out and everyone is starting to look past the superficial. Its really funny to watch some middle aged redneck woman becoming a 'momma' to the gay folks.

    I have only had one guy quit on me when he found out that a woman made more than him...He ranted about it and I just looked up at him and told him that I pay based on ability and potential. Its my job to create opportunities for employees to achieve. Then those that achieve the most get paid the most...seniority means nothing and neither does sex, religion, or all that other crap.

    He saw my temper with his response!

    Fair is fair....not real sure what is so hard to understand about that one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Consider the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act of 2009. Originally introduced in 2008, the bill was defeated by Senate Republicans under threat of a presidential veto. Re-submitted in January 2009, the bill passed by a vote of 61 to 36.

    Every male Republican Senator except Arlen Specter voted against the bill. All four female GOP senators crossed over to support it: Kay Bailey Hutchison of Texas; Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins of Maine; and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska.

    This is not an example of bipartisanship as the story is represented in the press, but an example of women standing up for gender equality. Without women, the bill would have been defeated.

    Notice the political empowerment statistic for the USA (Rank = 56, political representation of women = 13.98%). To have real gender equality, political representation should reflect our population demographic. A lesson from history: Equality = Political Power. It is not handed out on a silver platter but won through struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting that all the husbands and fathers would vote against fair and equal pay for their wives and daughters. I for one am proud that my wife earned more a year than I did several times. I hope she does several more. Thank you President Obama and the members of Congress who voted for my wife and daughters future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. T101, I wrote this post on behalf of all the women in my life. Hey, guys, its time to do the right thing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. On a very personal note - thank you to everyone who has commented so supportively in favor of women's right to equality. I confess I sometimes despair that years of feminist struggles will completely be undone by the ever increasing - NOT decreasing - backlash. You all give me hope.

    Yesterday I had an impromptu discussion with a student of mine about feminist politics. She was outspokenly indignant about the current state of affairs. She also gives me hope.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome civil discourse from all people but express no obligation to allow contributors and readers to be trolled. Any comment that sinks to the level of bigotry, defamation, personal insults, off-topic rants, and profanity will be deleted without notice.